Viking Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ground Clearance? IMPORTANT UPDATE ADDED!

As per the Yamaha Viking spec sheet, ground clearance is listed at 11.8 inches. Have any of you actually checked yours? I have nothing but a Yamaha bed mat and the plastic cargo box in mine. I also have only 1/3 of a tank of fuel. Yet, when I measure the clearance at the trailer hitch skid plate, I have only 10 1/2 inches. Tires have plenty of air.

Again, have any of you measured yours?

IMPORTANT UPDATE!: Talked to customer service this morning...and they were baffled as well. They did confirm that, as per stated specs, the Viking should have 11.8 inches of ground clearance. But then added that they had not heard of any other units that did not meet spec's. Even spoke with a product engineer and he also confirmed the stated specs. He did say that he would try to contact Japan...but it might take a while. FYI: Also went down to the local dealership and measured one on the showroom floor - 10 5/8 inches!

Anyways, I believe this is something that Yamaha needs to address. To me, it looks as though the spring load in the factory shocks is too light. The best way to get anything done is to complain as a group. Here is the customer service number (see below)...I would encourage all of you to make a quick call. Case in point: Years ago, the Toyota Tacoma's had pretty much the same issue and, with enough complaints, they came up with a recall spring swap. We shouldn't have to put a lift kit, or larger tires on, just to get to the advertised specs! In the UTV world, ground clearance is a big deal!

Yamaha Customer Relations
(800) 962-7926

·
Registered
36 Posts
Same here, I even had new shocks put on. No change I think Yamaha need to change there numbers and say ground clearance is lease in its class lol. I have 27 on mine and the skid plate is beat to ****. My piece of **** Polaris cleared with no problem. I might try a lift

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Measured last nite... with my new 27's I have 13"

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to call the dealer, or Yamaha customer service, this morning. I would like to find out just where they were measuring the clearance from? An inch of ground clearance is kind of a big deal :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
have you tried to measure from anywhere else?

You can get 11.8 inches, and more, elsewhere...but it's supposed to be minimum as cleared between the tires. Yamaha even shows this in one of their videos.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately, got to the point that customer service wasn't doing much. Had to file a complaint and open a case.

This is Yamaha's own video comparison against the Ranger. They make a real big deal about the "claimed" ground clearance of the Ranger at 12" ...but then say it really only has 11.1". Then they boast that the Viking has and the actual (11.8") ground clearance.

Here's the video...it's about 6:10 into it. 2014 Yamaha Viking FI 4x4 Video, movies

Those of you that have not checked, go measure your ride and you will find that you probably have 10.5 to 10.75inches. I spent a ton of money for larger tires and have not gained as much as I should have. I'm going to be in the rocks and, like I said before, ground clearance is a big deal on a UTV!

Anyways, I was fine until it became clear that I was only getting lip service. Now it's a matter of principal. "I can't tell you why they only have 10.5 inches of ground clearance" is not an answer. We'll see where this goes.

Here's the customer relations number if you are interested.
(800) 962-7926

·
Registered
60 Posts
Unfortunately, got the point that customer service wasn't doing much. Had to file a complaint and open a case.

This is Yamaha's own video comparison against the Ranger. They make a real big deal about the "claimed" ground clearance of the Ranger at 12" ...but then say it really only has 11.1". Then they boast that the Viking has and the actual (11.8") ground clearance.

Here's the video...it's about 6:10 into it. 2014 Yamaha Viking FI 4x4 Video, movies

Those of you that have not checked, go measure your ride and you will find that you probably have 10.5 to 10.75inches. I spent a ton of money for larger tires and have not gained as much as I should have. I'm going to be in the rocks and, like I said before, ground clearance is a big deal on a UTV!

Anyways, I was fine until it became clear that I was only getting lip service. Now it's a matter of principal. "I can't tell you why they only have 10.5 inches" of ground clearance" is not an answer. We'll see where this goes.

Here's the customer relations number if you are interested.
(800) 962-7926
I agree with you. I don't own one yet but I'll make sure to mention this to the dealer/sales person. As they say, given the video eveidence, if Yamaha is going to talk-the-talk they have to walk-the-walk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts