Viking Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished doing my bed liner on my Viking with the do it yourself Herculiner roll on kit. The results look professional. My total cost was $80. $67 for 1 can of herculiner and $13 for other supplies needed. I did the complete bed, top, sides and underneath. I took my time and lightly hand sanded with green scratch pad provided and then used acetone to clean and then rolled and brushed it on and was amazed how nice it turned out. I did a decible sound test after I was done and it dropped 2 decibles at idle just from doing the bedliner. It does take some time but with my wifes help we got it done in no time. If you got some spare time its well worth it!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Looks great, good job!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have to agree I was sticker shocked on how much a local company wanted to spray the bed. I got the kit for $100 and took 2 days to complete and save over $200.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Glad to hear about the decibel drop. I completely removed my bed to do this. I purchased the economy spray gun for my truck last year, so I elected to spray. LineX wanted $400 and would not do the bottom. I did the entire inside and out for $75 plus thinner, which I had, so call it $100. Spraying with the 1/4" tip gives more of the textured look like the professional companies.

Durability wise, it hasn't held up like my LineX did in my old truck, but after a year, a few cans of rattle can bed liner and it looks good again. I will post pics when I am done.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think that the herculiner was the best choice if you have the time to do it yourself. I have been hauling with mine and it still looks like i just did it. Looks good mxzgirl11!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I did the Herculiner on mine Memorial day weekend. Didn't do the bottom, but sound level including some of the offending harmonics, dropped noticeably. A bit labor intensive on the prep, but another diy project that can be done at 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of having some shop do it.

Your's looks very well done.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was going to get a spray on liner, but this thread inspired me to try it myself. Got the prep done this afternoon and the 1st coat is on. Hope to get another coat tonight and maybe a 3rd in the morning. Total cost (including tax) of the kit and extra supplies will be around $120. Local shop quoted me $250 for Linex. I post a pic when its all done and plastic is back on.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Honestly if you are looking for durability, then DIY is not the way to go. However if you don't mind a little sweat equity and touching up the scratches now and then, you can save quite a bit of change $$$ by DIY.

My local dealer wanted $400, but wouldn't do the underside, I said BS.

I am also creating some side storage boxes that still allow large enough area for coolers to go in the middle! Important to make sure! The tow rope, first aid kit, and the change of clothes backpack for the kids was always sliding around, so boxes were built.

will post pics soon.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Another DIY bedliner, with toolboxes

Still in progress, making my own side toolboxes. Toolboxes are version 1.0, they will do the job but will evaluate this season and see what might get redesigned. lids handles are on order.

Used Duplicolor and a economy undercoat gun. Used about 1/3 lacquer thinner on outside, used 1/2 thinner on inside, a little smoother on inside.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts