Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where and how many are there? I only see two which are on the rear outer lower A-arms(one on each side)Also heard there is one on the front driveline. Is that it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
there are 4 on the rear a arms (2 each side, one upper and one lower). As for the drive line if you remove the front skid plate and look at the u joint there is one in there thats a 45 degree angle. This was the difficult one for me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone know what size the Zerks are? A couple of them need changed out to 90 or 45's but the ones I have in my parts bin are way too big.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
6m it is... Thanks

·
Registered
344 Posts
What type if grease do I use for these

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I think the book says something like lithium soap based grease. I used Lubriplate 630-AA because that's what is in my miniature grease gun that I use for my Yamaha Jetdrive Outboard.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use Schaeffers black multi purpose grease. Lithium soap based grease will combine with water and get milky looking. Schaeffers grease will not combine with water. We use this grease on all our farming equipment and have had great results. The only problem is it is hard to find. I am lucky that our local feed store carries their products. We use the fluids and everything in our equipment. Schaeffers synthetic 7000 is in my viking now. You can order it online but it is expensive and well worth it.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
How in the **** is everyone greasing the one on the middle of the driveshaft to the front diff??? I just tried for 20 min from the bottom and from under the middle seat and couldnt get it...also... The book says to lubricat the two pivot points on the steering shaft...but there is no grease fittings.. They just want ya ta spray em with somethin or what???

·
Registered
147 Posts
I greased mine from the wheel well. Put in 4wheel drive and then roll it forward till the grease zerk was pointing towards me up behind tire on top. It Worked good. I also looked for grease zerks on the steering shaft and found nothing.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I greased mine from the wheel well. Put in 4wheel drive and then roll it forward till the grease zerk was pointing towards me up behind tire on top. It Worked good. I also looked for grease zerks on the steering shaft and found nothing.
No... There is another one under ur middle seat in front of the airbox that im having trouble with

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pain to grease and a pain to fill the diffs. Yamaha's claim about easy to service must have been only referring to engine oil change.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
agreed

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
no sir...I am gonna hafta get a smaller grease gun end or something... or I guess I could use a needle end and just push it into the fitting and grease it that way...anybody know if that will work??

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
no sir...I am gonna hafta get a smaller grease gun end or something... or I guess I could use a needle end and just push it into the fitting and grease it that way...anybody know if that will work??
Yes that way works, and think maybe I should get a lift put in so it would be an easier job to do all this,......I'm getting to old and fat to crawl around and fit in tiny places anymore

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Yes that way works, and think maybe I should get a lift put in so it would be an easier job to do all this,......I'm getting to old and fat to crawl around and fit in tiny places anymore
Lol.. Ok thanks

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Reading this thread scared me as I was psyching myself out to do the first service. I know on my Grizzly 700, it was a royal pain to grease the rear arms and I was prepared for the same on the viking. Surprisingly, it went very smoothly. I was able to get on all 4 grease nipples on the rear quite easily.

As for the 2 on the shaft: I completely removed the centre seat and its frame, and removed all the bolts that hold the centre section of the floor so I could raise it up. That easily allowed me to get at the nipple forward of the air filter. The one near the front of the shaft also went easy for me. I realize the horseshoe probably just fell out of my a**, but if the maintenance always goes this smoothly, I'll thank Yamaha!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts