Viking Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from a VERY successful Arizona archery deer hunt. Five minutes into opening day, I found myself looking at 3 dandy bucks and it just got better from there. I was unable to close the distance on those particular bucks, but they were all 4 points...and two of them had some extras! I ended up seeing 12 bucks that morning and most were above average. The next couple of days we saw many bucks, but I wanted to hold out for one that really caught my eye. Tuesday, early afternoon, I drove my SxS down a nearby logging road to get a cell phone signal. After my call, when walking back to my ride, I glanced down the ridge and instantly saw two BOOMER bucks feeding along the edge. Well...I did have my bow but, like a dummy, I had forgotten my range finder. They seemed to be working slowly down a pretty defined brush line and I figured I might be able to get in front of them....but it was probably going a little longer shot. Since the bucks were not spooked, I decided to hurry back to camp and grab the dang rangefinder. On the way back again, I stopped short and headed down the ridge on foot in the hopes of spotting them. Fortunately, they had not moved far and the stalk was on! I moved out in front of them and the larger of the two worked his way out into the open. As he slowly worked into my max range, I figured it was now or never. When I pulled back, I noticed that I had some branches at my 30yd pin level...so had to kneel down to clear those pins. Once I did that, all looked good...and I sent the arrow on its way. To be honest, after I touched the release, I lost sight of the arrow and thought I may have missed. However the buck only bolted about 30 yards and then slowed and his ears were down. After he went out of sight, I went to where I had last seen him and instantly picked up a good blood trail.

Well...it got a bit interesting from there! I sat down to wait an hour or so and, about 30 minutes later, it starts raining. So I had to get on his trail before it was washed away. I only went about 50 yards and the buck got up in front of me. It was moving fairly well but I could tell he was hit hard. The rain was starting to come down, so I had to stay on him in the hopes of spotting him first...or maybe he would go down for good. Unfortunately the rain was too much and I completely lost he trail. At this point, all I could do was go back to camp and wait until morning...hoping that he would not travel too far.

The next morning, the entire camp went into the area and we tried to pick up some sort of trail. The rain had washed most everything away and the trail was cold. All we could do was split up and start working grid patterns in the hopes that someone would turn something up. I won't go over all the details, but the archery gods were on my side. About an hour after I had started zig-zagging along a hillside, I was shocked when I glanced down the ridge and spotted a huge rack under a tree.

75 yards from where we had lost all sign, this is what I found... "Mass-n-Trash!"

Arizona archery 2014 4x5.jpg
DSCN0500.JPG

As a side note: The sound deadening stuff I have done worked GREAT! Drove right up on several deer without spooking them :D

·
Super Moderator
4,425 Posts
What a way to open the season, he's a beauty, great write up too!

·
Registered
86 Posts
That is a darn good muley! Congrats!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Nice animal and looks good in the Viking. Going to Idaho in Oct. can't wait!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
thats one nice muley.congradulations MNT!!! great story behind it too. thanks for sharing

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Nice animal and looks good in the Viking. Going to Idaho in Oct. can't wait!
Where you going in Idaho, I'm from there and where I normally hunt is 15 minutes from the house, and normally can find mule deer, white tail, black bear, elk, and cougar, and unfortunately, timber wolves are starting to move in, you can have all the wolves you can shoot, I won't tell.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is a great looking buck. How old do you think it was?
I really don't think that buck had reached his prime yet. I would say 4-5 years old. The genetics, in the area we hunt, are about as good as one could hope for. Just below us is the famous Arizona Strip....they have taken some 300 inch class bucks out of there.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Congrats. Awesome buck!!!! Love the story behind the kill

·
Registered
372 Posts
Where you going in Idaho, I'm from there and where I normally hunt is 15 minutes from the house, and normally can find mule deer, white tail, black bear, elk, and cougar, and unfortunately, timber wolves are starting to move in, you can have all the wolves you can shoot, I won't tell.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
East of Orofino...I have some property that has it all. Was able to take a five point bull last year, second day of the season. Lots of whitetails, turkeys and yes wolves. I haven't seen any on my land but have had tracks I have spotted after periods of rain. So they are there. I will shoot any I see. They have put a heavy dent into the elk/deer populations over the last 10 years or so. I recall you saying you were from Idaho....near what town?

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
East of Orofino...I have some property that has it all. Was able to take a five point bull last year, second day of the season. Lots of whitetails, turkeys and yes wolves. I haven't seen any on my land but have had tracks I have spotted after periods of rain. So they are there. I will shoot any I see. They have put a heavy dent into the elk/deer populations over the last 10 years or so. I recall you saying you were from Idaho....near what town?
I think I've talked to you before about it, I'm from cottonwood, as the crow flies, about 20 miles from orofino, and your so right about the wolves, my brother in law looses about 20 head of cattle/calves to them every year now, he has a ranch south of Kooskia

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
372 Posts
I think I've talked to you before about it, I'm from cottonwood, as the crow flies, about 20 miles from orofino, and your so right about the wolves, my brother in law looses about 20 head of cattle/calves to them every year now, he has a ranch south of Kooskia

When I head up to my property I turn off of 95 and hit old hwy 7 just south of Cottonwood. Love that whole area. Your brother lives in a nice area as well. Seems like most people that live in that area are having wolf trouble. At least we can hunt/trap them to try and get a handle on it. What part of Nevada are you in now?

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
When I head up to my property I turn off of 95 and hit old hwy 7 just south of Cottonwood. Love that whole area. Your brother lives in a nice area as well. Seems like most people that live in that area are having wolf trouble. At least we can hunt/trap them to try and get a handle on it. What part of Nevada are you in now?
Living in Battle Mountain right now, working out of Carlin, using double side dumps hauling gold ore from the mines to the smelters

·
Registered
372 Posts
Got to go where the work is. Wish we could mine here, but this state is so messed up. Frustrates me so hoping the move to create Jefferson keeps the momentum up. Our North State is as conservative as Idaho but the lib tards control us we have no representation any longer. More controls on trail riding are popping up here and there. Signs mandating helmets in SXS on easy trails, signs that say street legal vehicles only on a rocky dirt road, etc.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts