Viking Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
My brand new 2016 Viking would almost always take 2 tries to start when cold and I also had gas in the crankcase. Turned out to be a loose spark plug wire at the plug. Firmly seated the boot and ran much better. I may add I was not getting a red hot exhaust like everyone else until I fixed the loose spark plug boot.

I think this answer went unnoticed many years ago. Massive may be onto something, as failed starts continually push fuel. Somebody with more knowledge than me, let us know if you think that failed spark/starts can push too much fuel (fuel injection), whereby it mixes with oil.

Yeah failed starts, short runs not getting the engine hot, worn injector can all cause fuel in the oil. Are you having this problem?

Yeah failed starts, short runs not getting the engine hot, worn injector can all cause fuel in the oil. Are you having this problem?
Yep. I had a very old spark plug. Changed it and the oil Crossing fingers that was the cause. Went a year with failed starts. Cranking right up at first turn of key now.

Did you buy one of those iridium plugs?
How old (miles) were on the old plug?

Waaaaaay too old. Embarrassed to say. Years! šŸ˜ƒ Bought the OEM NGK plug.

Taking it for a hard run will get the fuel out of the crankcase. You are obviously driving around too slowly šŸ¤£

• Haha
Reactions: bd_skrillz
Did you buy one of those iridium plugs?
They are the best, I run them exclusively in my Yamaha WRF trail bikes, never have an issue and they last for ever.

Reactions: bd_skrillz
They are the best, I run them exclusively in my Yamaha WRF trail bikes, never have an issue and they last for ever.
Agree. Do you know the part # of one for the Viking? Been thinking of switching to one but I still have a new plug from my Kodiak never used.

Agree. Do you know the part # of one for the Viking? Been thinking of switching to one but I still have a new plug from my Kodiak never used.
Possibly CPR7EAIX-9 (IX designates Iridium). They are better for people who ride like Grandpa šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£

Reactions: Sport4x4
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.