Viking Forum banner

gas in crankcase

13K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  cactus 
#1 ·
Anyone else have gas in the oil? The dealer has looked at it twice and doesn't know what is wrong. Now there is engine oil in the air filter box too.

#2 ·
How high up on the dipstick is it? As it's fuel injected it's hard to see how gas would get into the crankcase. Get them to do a compression test in case the piston is cracked.

Reactions: bd_skrillz
#3 ·
only way for gas to really get in the crank is bad piston rings. Its getting some serious blow by

#4 ·
Are you under warranty? If so the Dealer has to make it right even if they have to replace the engine.

#11 ·
Good luck!

Sent from the top of Poop Mountain

#12 ·
So the injector was leaking fuel into the cylinder? Hope so as that's an easy fix!

#15 ·
Dec 22 2016. Connecting rod came through the crankcase. The gas in the oil problem has never been solved. AM not happy to say the least. We'll see if Yamaha warranties this if not will sue for damages. I would like to trade it off, but can't legally do so without telling buyer of the problem, witch makes it not worth much. I got seriously SCREWED.

#16 ·
My brand new 2016 Viking would almost always take 2 tries to start when cold and I also had gas in the crankcase. Turned out to be a loose spark plug wire at the plug. Firmly seated the boot and ran much better. I may add I was not getting a red hot exhaust like everyone else until I fixed the loose spark plug boot.

#22 ·
I think this answer went unnoticed many years ago. Massive may be onto something, as failed starts continually push fuel. Somebody with more knowledge than me, let us know if you think that failed spark/starts can push too much fuel (fuel injection), whereby it mixes with oil.

#17 ·
Need input

Am I the only yamaha owner with fuel getting in the oil? They said the cause could be that I only drive it a half mile at a time. BULLSHIT. I've had four fourwheelers over the past thirty years, and used them all for the exact same thing, and never had a problem.

#18 ·
Am I the only yamaha owner with fuel getting in the oil? They said the cause could be that I only drive it a half mile at a time. BULLSHIT. I've had four fourwheelers over the past thirty years, and used them all for the exact same thing, and never had a problem.
That does sound like a BS answer. But if it makes you feel any better (and I preface that I'm no gear head and barely know what I'm talking about) but I smell gasoline in my oil when I do oil changes. It does bother me a little.

#20 ·
Dang man. Guess I can't blame you. You should have looked into those new Yanmars. LOL.

#23 ·
Yeah failed starts, short runs not getting the engine hot, worn injector can all cause fuel in the oil. Are you having this problem?

#24 ·
Yep. I had a very old spark plug. Changed it and the oil Crossing fingers that was the cause. Went a year with failed starts. Cranking right up at first turn of key now.

#25 ·
Did you buy one of those iridium plugs?
How old (miles) were on the old plug?

#28 ·
Did you buy one of those iridium plugs?
They are the best, I run them exclusively in my Yamaha WRF trail bikes, never have an issue and they last for ever.

#26 ·
Waaaaaay too old. Embarrassed to say. Years! 😃 Bought the OEM NGK plug.

#27 ·
Taking it for a hard run will get the fuel out of the crankcase. You are obviously driving around too slowly 🤣

• Haha
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.