Viking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious what folks are seeing for fuel economy with your Vikings.
Took a nice long mountain ride with our good friends the other day. My wife and I in our Viking and they in their new CanAm Commander. Had a great time and covered 145 miles round trip. My Viking averaged around 24 MPG and the Commander was closer to 18MPG. Don't get me wrong, the CanAm is a great machine and has a lot of neat features but I sure was surprised at the difference, but in retrospect shouldn't be i guess. More cc's and HP equates to more fuel use. Just one more reason I love my viking. This thing is a work horse. Put everything you can in front and back and head up the mountain! I love the ability to take everything but the kitchen sink when we are going way back in somewhere. Gives me a sense of security knowing we can take care of most any issues that arise with all of the stuff we pack! Plus the dog gets his very own seat now!

·
Registered
12 Posts
My first tank of gas ran for 168 miles before going dry, approx 20 mpg. However I seem to be getting better mileage now that it is broke in, dont have the exact figures yet.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am thinking I might be on rougher terrain or something as I only get about 12mpg.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I Changed out the exhaust and muffler and making plans to add the power commander fuel programmer I moved the muffler across the back ( generator muffler attach same size pipe as coming out of the head much better mileage and 25% quieter. My yamaha viking is so choked down with heat build up that down the road the engine is doomed. This is my opinion only!

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
I am thinking I might be on rougher terrain or something as I only get about 12mpg.
If you put on taller tires your odometer is go to show less then the actual miles your putting on, are you compensating for that? With stock tires I was getting 20mpg plus, couldn't get an accurate reading because I was always refueling it from a gas can, not a metered pump, also depends if you run in a lot of mud or water.

·
Super Moderator
4,701 Posts
In a word, terrible. I think I am getting around 12 mpg, but I will re calculate tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
4,701 Posts
Just did another tank full, a mix of loaded/unloaded, high range/low range, fast and slow so a good "utility" mix of driving, got 17 L/100km or 14 mpg in your talk lol. I think it was about 170km for the tank, so 105 miles.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Mine is so awful I don't want to calculate it. With the exception of a few occasional trail rides, my normal day is:

Start-drive to barn-stop. Start-drive to garage-stop. Start-drive to mailbox-drive to barn-stop. Fill bed with poop-drive to poop hole-stop. dump poop-drive to garage-stop.

• Haha
Reactions: Ranger

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
This had nothing to do with mileage but I think the fuel gauge is ridiculous and pisses me off. It needs to be more precise. We were riding last weekend and i was down to one bar. Rode probably 10 miles on that last bar when i told the guys we needed to go to a gas station cuz i was about out of gas. Got there and filled up and it only took 5 gallons. Wtf? Going by the gauge i shouldve only had like 2 gallons not 4.5 gallons. I went five miles out of my way to get gas when i couldve made it back to camp and passed two gas stations on the way

Reactions: XAMPLE

·
Registered
69 Posts
This had nothing to do with mileage but I think the fuel gauge is ridiculous and pisses me off. It needs to be more precise. We were riding last weekend and i was down to one bar. Rode probably 10 miles on that last bar when i told the guys we needed to go to a gas station cuz i was about out of gas. Got there and filled up and it only took 5 gallons. Wtf? Going by the gauge i shouldve only had like 2 gallons not 4.5 gallons. I went five miles out of my way to get gas when i couldve made it back to camp and passed two gas stations on the way
What this guy said! pisses me off too

·
Super Moderator
4,701 Posts
This came up before and think the consensus was that Yamaha wants to keep the fuel pump submerged in gas to cool it, but you're right, it is ridiculous. I run mine until it's flashing and even then I keep riding for ages. I even run it until it starts to splutter occasionally from lack of fuel, say when going around a corner, it seems to go for ages like this and even then doesn't run out of gas. Then I fill it.
Maybe 3 bars = full, 2 bars = 3/4, 1 bar = 1/2, no bars = 1/4, flashing = empty might be a better way of looking at it?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Question to some of you guys that don't get good gas mileage, are you running in low all the time? I'm always in high.
My Viking with bigger tires, full recovery kit (straps tools jumper cables D-rings etc) cooler,some of my buddies stuff cuz his razor can't haul ****, all of this goes on every ride and I run circles around him for gas mileage. In fact everyone I have gone off-road with has to gas up way before I do. 12 mpg really? My 8.1 liter in my suburban gets that kinda gas mileage when I'm nice on the throttle, but the viking...?
When we do local rides we go 30-50 miles on slow twisty trails with plenty of steep hills and rocky terrain that requires 4wd and on a rare occasion diff lock, hit a long straight stretch or river bed and mash the gas to about 30mph is the norm for us. We can do this at least three times before refueling.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I usually run in 4wd low all the time. Its rough, rocky, muddy and very hilly were i ride. But last weekend i stayd in 2wd high most of the time. I know my low mpg comes from my exaust and cdi. once i put the exaust on, we had to bump the midrange fuel on the cdi to +20. On the low end and high end it was around +7.

·
Super Moderator
4,701 Posts
Question to some of you guys that don't get good gas mileage, are you running in low all the time? I'm always in high.
My Viking with bigger tires, full recovery kit (straps tools jumper cables D-rings etc) cooler,some of my buddies stuff cuz his razor can't haul ****, all of this goes on every ride and I run circles around him for gas mileage. In fact everyone I have gone off-road with has to gas up way before I do. 12 mpg really? My 8.1 liter in my suburban gets that kinda gas mileage when I'm nice on the throttle, but the viking...?
When we do local rides we go 30-50 miles on slow twisty trails with plenty of steep hills and rocky terrain that requires 4wd and on a rare occasion diff lock, hit a long straight stretch or river bed and mash the gas to about 30mph is the norm for us. We can do this at least three times before refueling.
Yep, that's all mine gets, 13-14 mpg, 100 miles out of a tank. And that's as I said, some flat out riding in high, kids tearing around, low range hauling firewood, and general running around empty and easy on the throttle. Can you measure yours next trip and see what it comes out at, will be interesting to see?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Yep, that's all mine gets, 13-14 mpg, 100 miles out of a tank. And that's as I said, some flat out riding in high, kids tearing around, low range hauling firewood, and general running around empty and easy on the throttle. Can you measure yours next trip and see what it comes out at, will be interesting to see?
I am curious to see what kind of mpg's I get as well. Gotta give me a few til the weather allows. Well into the 100 degree weather out here and off roading in the dry summer heat is brutal>:)
But I will most certainly keep track of what kind of riding I did and what I had for a load.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts