Viking Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While installing a highlifter 2" lift kit over the weekend, my Viking is just now at 100 hrs and 900 Kms. Its never been in water past the tire sidewall or deep mud.
I noticed a difference in how each front wheel hub rotated while the tires were off.
Has anyone noticed this and could / would it be wheel bearings / axel Cv / front diff issues ??
The Viking front end was up on jackstands, both wheels removed, in two wheel drive so front diff should be free wheeling I would guess, but I am not familiar with how the Yamaha diff engagement system works.

when passenger wheel hub was rotated either direction, it spun smooth and no noticeable sounds or irregular feel in rotation, no sound out of front diff, no abnormal brake drag.
when driver side was rotated in either direction, there was a slight bumpy feel at the hub and a drag / gear sound which seemed to come from the front differential ??
My past vehicle experience tells me the wheel bearings are dry or worn, but I'm confused with the diff noise, any Ideas ??

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
If it's bumpy it's probably CV. The dragging could be the disk brake as they should drag a little. When you turn one axle does the one on the other side turn?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, each axel rotated independently....as I think they should with diff in two wheel drive.

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
On motor vehicles when you turn one wheel forwards the opposite wheel turns backwards, unless it's a limited slip diff then both wheels turn the same way. The V is supposed to be a LS front diff but who knows exactly how it is designed inside. I'll jack mine up in a minute and test it out.

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
Just jacked mine up and spun each wheel, my Drivers side wheel makes the clunking noise when spun and my Passenger side wheel is dead quiet and smooth, so going by mine and yours being the same I'd say it's completely normal.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Just jacked mine up and spun each wheel, my Drivers side wheel makes the clunking noise when spun and my Passenger side wheel is dead quiet and smooth, so going by mine and yours being the same I'd say it's completely normal.
Yes, but you're in the southern hemisphere and your winter is our summer. So, is it completely normal? Don't even get me started on the direction your toilets flush..................

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
haha yes good point, it's actually common knowledge here that you guys being in the opposite hemisphere are somewhat backwards compared to us lol seriously though, it's 11 C today winters coming time to load the Viking up with firewood.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
That's shorts and flip flop weather after the winter we just had!

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
Yeah it looked bad, would've been a good year to hit Whistler or Fernie. Only gets to about zero here or a bit less and snows lightly only every so many years, most times it melts when it hits the ground. Good fire weather.

·
Registered
133 Posts
That's the way the diff is built. The atvs are the same also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts