Viking Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to off road and UTVs and was wondering if most users put flat prevention liquid in tires <like SLIME> or not. What is recommended... ?
We are picking up our new Viking Tuesday.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
First off, congrads, be sure to post up some pics when you get it!!

I haven't heard of anyone running that slime or anything like it in there Viking tires.

·
Administrator
1,800 Posts
Congrats on the new machine.

I have seen guys on here that use it, and many guys in the field as well. I used it years ago, but not really a big fan anymore.

I carry fix a flat, a tire repair kit, and a compressor. Hopefully I wont need anymore than that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I bought and installed 8 ply tires (wanted 12 ply, but weight and cost overruled) and put 24oz of Slime in each tire. Has already paid off as I picked up a large mesquite thorn. When I pulled it out, it hissed air initially, and as far I can tell, it lost about 1/2 lb of air. That was three weeks ago and tire pressure has remained steady, and inflated. I don't necessarily like Slime, but on my property with lots of Huisache and Mesquite, it is a necessity.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I live in south Texas and hunt near Laredo. Pretty much everything that grows there has a thorn. The worst are mesquite trees. Tire sealer is a requirement. I ran Slime in my Honda Rincon from the time it was new in 2005 until I sold it last week. The stock tires only made it 2 yrs, but I put Bighorns with Slime on it after that and ran it 7 more years with no flats. When I replaced the stock tires, it was amazing how many thorns were in them that I didn't know about.

When I bought the Viking, the 1st thing I did on the way home from the dealer was stop and pick up some tractor tire sealer- its similar to Slime, but will seal a lot bigger holes. A buddy on our deer lease bought a Ranger 900XP last year and had several flats the 1st week he had it and runs Slime now. Has saved me from walking many times.

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
Good info TonyJ and SA Doc, like has been said I think it totally depends upon the type of country you run in. I rarely get flats here where I live so I probably won't ever use it (I have occasionally in the past), although I just got a flat in my one week old Kubota RTV500, which has heavy tread turf tires on it!

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Those Kubotas are nice machines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the warm reception and all the informative feedback. There`s not a lot of brutal thorns on my property but a little prevention might well be worth it. Even though you may never know.Thanks!

I will post some pics once I get my Viking..

·
Registered
290 Posts
yea like cactus said, seems entirely dependant on what you're going to be facing. You don't bring a parka for skinny dipping do you? :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
I took my 3 week old Viking to the deer lease for the 1st time yesterday to fill feeders. Haven't looked at the hour meter, but I'd guess I put about 2 hours on it while there. Was hosing it off when I got back and saw at least 3 big mesquite thorns in the tires. I'd likely have had at least one flat without the sealer. May add a little weight, but it's worth it to me.

I did open her up while I was there. Topped out at 50mph, which was right where it was before adding the Silent Rider exhaust. I was worried it would affect power. Managed to get it stuck this morning with nothing close enough to winch it out. Luckily I was able to get my hunting truck within 3 chain lengths of the rear and pull it out backwards. It was a spot I've crossed in my old ATV several times, but the Viking just sunk and bottomed out. That extra weight is a killer in bad mud. Still had a blast.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
yea like cactus said, seems entirely dependant on what you're going to be facing. You don't bring a parka for skinny dipping do you? :D
Your not supposed to bring a parka to go skinny dipping? Wow that explains my whole life!!!! LOL

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts