Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The only thing that I have ever had a problem with is the Parking Brake. No matter how much I adjusted it under the left front fender, it never seemed to hold well enough. The other day I ran out of adjustment threads but the pads are still like new. I fixed it today in less than 30 min and you can do it in the comfort of your own right rear tire.

You will need 7 & 12mm combo wrenches, and a 12mm socket wrench.

Make sure the brake handle is all the way up and you have set the adjustment nut and lock nut to be as loose as possible. Open the bed and locate the parking brake caliper.

Note the nut marked in yellow and the shaft marked in red.

Loosen the nut 2 to 3 turns.
Hold the nut in place with the combo wrench while turning the shaft in with the 7mm wrench or some pliers. Turn it till it stops but do not tighten it. This will lock up the brake.
Tighten the nut gently till it stops but don't torque it down.
Back off the nut till the brake is free.
While holding the shaft in place with the 7mm wrench or pliers, fully tighten the nut. Make sure the brake is not dragging. If it is you need to back out the shaft a little bit more.

Your parking brake should be awesome and you have full adjustability.

I blame Rob and James for making me need new tires & safety harnesses.
Sent from the top of Poop Mountain

·
Super Moderator
4,182 Posts
Awesome, I might do mine. How'd you get those bits of red and yellow string to sit there like that though, and do I need to use them too to do the adjustment?

Reactions: ky1bnusmc

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Another score for M0nkey! Good info big man.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
405 Posts
thanks for the write up! Its nice having a parking brake again

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the write up! Its nice having a parking brake again
You are welcome.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oooo gotta get me a pair of those sandals. lol
Skrillz has some

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brakes Squeek... obnoxious.

I have had to adjust the parking brake at the rear and it will hold on flat ground at about 3/4 pull, on a 45 degree hill at full pull. Problem is when at full UP position it seems like it just squeaks all the time. I can't tell if the rear pad is bad, but front has a little pad left on it. I just reordered a couple new pads so hopefully that will solve the problem. I assume it is the parking brake, **** could be rear axle brakes.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have had to adjust the parking brake at the rear and it will hold on flat ground at about 3/4 pull, on a 45 degree hill at full pull. Problem is when at full UP position it seems like it just squeaks all the time. I can't tell if the rear pad is bad, but front has a little pad left on it. I just reordered a couple new pads so hopefully that will solve the problem. I assume it is the parking brake, **** could be rear axle brakes.
There is another thread here about ending brake squeak for the 4 wheel disc brakes. Ending Brake Squeak It works and you may not actually need new pads. It is not the pads, it is the grease!!

If it is not the regular wheel brakes but the parking brake then make sure that it is not rubbing and that the disc is not loose. ALL of the screws holding mine on were loose and the disc would move around and drag.

Reactions: HADESWRAITH

·
Registered
962 Posts
Did this to mine, works great. Thanks Monkey

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did this to mine, works great. Thanks Monkey

Glad to be of service.

·
Registered
344 Posts
thanks Monkey,went from pulling everything it had to about a 1/4 pull.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks Monkey,went from pulling everything it had to about a 1/4 pull.
Crazy huh? From useless to useful in a few min.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just did this to mine; been dragging this out forever since the Viking has been parked all winter... Took maybe 5 minutes. :laugh:
Parking brake works better than new now. Now I'm not worried about the Viking rolling off the front of the trailer when loading! :D

Thanks Monkey!!

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just did this to mine; been dragging this out forever since the Viking has been parked all winter... Took maybe 5 minutes.
Parking brake works better than new now. Now I'm not worried about the Viking rolling off the front of the trailer when loading! :D

Thanks Monkey!!
Glad I could help.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine is still perfect after a year!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well that was just about the easiest thing ever!! Can't believe I waited this long to deal with it...

Thanks M0nkey!

·
Registered
18 Posts
The only thing that I have ever had a problem with is the Parking Brake. No matter how much I adjusted it under the left front fender, it never seemed to hold well enough. The other day I ran out of adjustment threads but the pads are still like new. I fixed it today in less than 30 min and you can do it in the comfort of your own right rear tire.

You will need 7 & 12mm combo wrenches, and a 12mm socket wrench.

Make sure the brake handle is all the way up and you have set the adjustment nut and lock nut to be as loose as possible. Open the bed and locate the parking brake caliper.

Note the nut marked in yellow and the shaft marked in red.

Loosen the nut 2 to 3 turns.
Hold the nut in place with the combo wrench while turning the shaft in with the 7mm wrench or some pliers. Turn it till it stops but do not tighten it. This will lock up the brake.
Tighten the nut gently till it stops but don't torque it down.
Back off the nut till the brake is free.
While holding the shaft in place with the 7mm wrench or pliers, fully tighten the nut. Make sure the brake is not dragging. If it is you need to back out the shaft a little bit more.

Your parking brake should be awesome and you have full adjustability.

What's the 12 mm socket for?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts