Viking Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put the Viking to the test on my first hunt and thought I would share some thoughts, findings and opinions about the Viking and it's accessories.

#1. We were hunting at the 9,500ft level and I did notice a reduction in power. I know this has fuel injection...so it "could" be due to the fact that I have the additional silencer to it. I also have the Pit Bull Rockers, which are on the heave side. BTW...the tires are awesome. This wasn't that big of an issue...but I thought I would mention it.
#2. Speaking of the silencer... I found that I could drive up on deer as easy as if I was in truck..."Highly recommend a silencer!"
#3. As far as power goes...it had plenty for what I will use it for. However, one could not argue the fact that a bit more sure couldn't hurt. I have noticed this at the lower elevations as well.
#4. The sound deadening mods I have done are the best investment I have added. The sound kit that is now available and/or the products I have used are WELL worth the investment. If you think your Viking is loud, don't complain...just get the kit and fix it. Best "bang for your buck" available!
#5. The OEM front folding window worked very well. I would recommend some sort of front window for anyone that's going to be out on the trails. Having said that, you will need to add a rear window as well because it will greatly reduce the amount of dust that gets sucked in by the vortex action. It won’t stop it completely...but it DOES help.
#6. The LED lights...if you don't have some, you need them-- "nuff said!"
#7. The engine braking. Before I did the hunt, I simply did not like it. However, during the trip there were times in which it came in very handy. I also learned to feather the throttle and I would now say it is a positive part of the drive train. If you need it, you will be glad you have it.
#8. The 4x4 system. I have no idea what it takes to break, or slip, the front shaft...but I put some serious strain on it, and had no problems.
#9. The over fenders are a "don't leave home without them" thing. As long as you don't have giant tires with an extreme offset...they are a MUST!
#10. The cargo box is a bit pricey but worked well and I used it to carry a ton of stuff. It doesn't take up too much room and you can still fit a deer or full sized ice chest in the bed. With the amount of stuff I have in mine... I do have to help the bed up a bit.
#11. I do not have the OEM LED backup lights...BUT I WILL SOON! (a must have)
#12. Mirrors...I had both the break away side and then the rearview as well. You DO need mirrors, but I found that the rearview mirror was almost useless because of my OEM rear window and center headrest. Both of those obstructed most of the view from the rear view mirror.
#13. The suspension....SUCKS! I have documented on here the problems I have had with the suspension sagging. You put any weight in the back of the Viking and you are going to sit down a BUNCH! I seriously think the spring package is way too light, and I am going to continue my claim/complaint with the factory.
#14. If you are going to be in the rain, the roof needs some modification. You WILL get wet by the water that runs off the front and sides. It pretty much lands right in your lap. I am going to look into some sort of improved drip rail. I would say this is a BIG DEAL!
#15. For you hunters....TAKE OFF the doors before you drive up on the big buck standing on the side of the hill. You will find that with your left hand, you will be unlatching the door...and with your right hand, you will be grabbing your bow or gun...and with the other hand (which you wish you had) you will be trying to knock and arrow/look through your range finder/grab your bino's/trying not to let the door slam....you get the idea.
#16. You will notice in my photos (see my gallery) that I have built some custom side rails for the bed. I would highly recommend putting some sort of attachments or rails on the upper edge of the bed. I found that the tie-downs in the bed are not very functional if it is loaded. The hooks were simply hard to get to down inside the bed if things were already loaded up against them. (Ice chest/gear/wood)
#17. I have a Moto Alliance Viper 5000 wide spool winch on mine. On a few occasions I had to winch some fallen trees out of the way. I saw some other Folks doing the same. The one thing that came in very handy was the fact that the wide spool has 65ft of cable. I found that some of the other Folks were having to add additional straps/cable so they could reach out there.
#18. The engine vibration I was worried about when it was new is pretty much gone.
#19. My custom switch and gauge panels, by Concours, were exposed to quite a bit of moisture...and I had no issues.
#20. Just a thought, but if you have the OEM bed mat...it might be a good idea to turn it over before you load a deer or something. It was a PIA to clean when I got home.
#21. I elected to save some money and did not get the EPS when I purchased mine. I would say that EPS is more of a luxury than anything. However, I couldn't argue that it would be nice. (just not $1,000 nice)
#22. I have a heat shield, by Blue Wolf. I have no idea if this is a must or not...but I can tell you that the exhaust pipe does get cherry red and does go right over the rear diff. With the heat shield, I was not worried at all...and it sure didn't hurt.
#23. Last....if you look inside the front fender wells, behind the front tires, you will notice that there is a lip/gap where the two pieces of plastic meet. You will also notice there are some clips that connect the two. Before I left, I added several of those clips to both sides...which sucked the two pieces of plastic together better. Very glad I did this...as the mud would have just run in and filled those gaps. I also added a small bead of silicone. This was a very easy fix and worked great!

Had an AWESOME hunt and the Viking performed GREAT!

M-n-T

·
Registered
215 Posts
Great information and review. I don't see pictures I am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
372 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to provide your insight. Good information and food for thought!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
great write up and review of everything. couldnt agree more on the suspension and the roof. i would say those are the two things that annoy me the most about the viking. cant wait to see what you come up with for the roof, ill definitely have to copy it. rode last sunday in the rain and still had to wear rain gear. and i hope they make aftermarket shocks soon. tired of banging the frame and skid plate when its loaded down, and i dont even have the cargo box yet

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
Thanks for the thorough assessment. What is it with the roof?? The rain pours down my left leg unless I am traversing a hill, high side on the left.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts