Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey cactus,just wondering if the fires have had any effect on you yet? not looking good there.

·
Super Moderator
3,916 Posts
Yeah thanks for asking, they have been pretty bad in some areas, 1,365 houses destroyed and 17 dead so far. Part of the problem has been the weather. We've been getting a lot of cold changes (fronts) coming through, and when that happens the approaching cold air mass pushes the hot air off the desert onto the normally cool east coast, where 95% of the population lives and where it's heavily timbered. So we get alternating roaring hot westerlies and 115F for a few days (huge fire), then a cool 75F southerly for the next few days (small fire), which pushes the fires all over the place. The other part of the problem is we are in severe drought, so the middle of Australia is bone dry and red hot, the east coast is bone dry and as the bush hasn't been burnt for 50 years it has a massive fuel load! Even one of the snow ski resorts burnt to the ground! If you look at this map it will show you the extent of it all.

https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/fires-near-me

The fire west of me (Central Coast) burnt through about 60 miles of bushland and finally stopped a couple of miles off my farm, so didn't affect me, well apart from all the black leaves and twigs dropping out of the sky for days, and the relentless smoke!

·
Super Moderator
3,916 Posts
1,687 homes destroyed so far.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we in bc have also had our share of wildfires in the last few years losing valuable forests,with. minor lose of homes except in alberta where some cities have had loses.i see a lot of Canadian fire fighters heading your way as a lot of your fire fighters have come to our aid as well.

·
Super Moderator
3,916 Posts
Yeah we have a lot of Canadians coming we hire your water bombing aircraft in your winter as well. I've seen some of the fires in BC, as well as some in California, they look pretty full on as well. We lost some pine plantations down south in this round of fires.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Cactus, just as a precaution, maybe you should send me all of your whiskey till the fires are over.

Sent from the bottom of a whiskey bottle

·
Super Moderator
3,916 Posts
Cactus, just as a precaution, maybe you should send me all of your whiskey till the fires are over.

That's probably a very good idea, expect a package in the mail any day now :laugh:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
we had around a foot of snow again this week and is supposed to get down to minus 30 celcius next week ,might have to put machine away for a few days.what a difference in temps around the world

·
Super Moderator
3,916 Posts
Yeah that's for sure TC, western Sydney had 49C and it's -30C where you are!

2,136 homes destroyed now.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hats off to the firefighters. I can't imagine fighting those fires in those temperatures.i see the animal loss is also extensive.

·
Super Moderator
3,916 Posts
Most of them are overweight and unfit and sit in the truck with their red faces jammed in the aircon vents lol. But yeah they do help a lot of the time.

They are saying 1 billion animals dead but I think that is BS, I've never seen one animal dead from fire, no doubt there would be some though. I think the green necks are saying that because it got burnt, everything must have died, this no doubt suits there funding argument. Some of the green necks are saying that the 50 million that the government has given to native wildlife rehab, feral proof fencing, breeding of native species to rehabilitate, feral cat and fox baiting etc should be 500 million.That would go well for their tofu parties I'm sure! Our media was saying today that oversees tourists are cancelling their holidays to Australia because they think that the whole country has burnt! Australia is roughly the same physical size as the USA but 70% of it is desert and unburnable! People are even cancelling trips to Ayers Rock which is in the middle of a sand desert!

·
Super Moderator
3,916 Posts

How'd you go, did you get it yet?

·
Super Moderator
3,916 Posts

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
How'd you go, did you get it yet?
Actually no! What address did you use? The postman doesn't deliver to poop mountain.

·
Super Moderator
3,916 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,916 Posts
Yeah they are we had about 120mm of rain here in the last week or so (after nearly four months of nothing), a couple of big storms put the power out for 3 days, the rain was patchy but all the fires are out or under control around Central Coast NSW. They are having some issues down south when the weather heats up. Apart from a few hot blasts as mentioned earlier it's been cool here for January, it's normally 33C every day and a burning hot sun, most days are in the 20's with misty dewy mornings, it actually feels like Autumn until about lunchtime when it warms up. Having said that we have got 45C coming for this Saturday, I better mow around the dam and get the esky (cooler) filled up...

How's the cold, backed off a bit?

·
Super Moderator
3,916 Posts
Our Aussie girl just got knocked out of the semi finals in the Australian open by an American! Dang, as skrillz would say!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah they are we had about 120mm of rain here in the last week or so (after nearly four months of nothing), a couple of big storms put the power out for 3 days, the rain was patchy but all the fires are out or under control around Central Coast NSW. They are having some issues down south when the weather heats up. Apart from a few hot blasts as mentioned earlier it's been cool here for January, it's normally 33C every day and a burning hot sun, most days are in the 20's with misty dewy mornings, it actually feels like Autumn until about lunchtime when it warms up. Having said that we have got 45C coming for this Saturday, I better mow around the dam and get the esky (cooler) filled up...

How's the cold, backed off a bit?
it has warmed up here as well,hanging around 0 celcius.i did see where parts of Australia were flooding .

·
Super Moderator
3,916 Posts
Yeah some flooding, fires are still bad around Bega and Canberra, all fires are out near me. We have around 150mm of rain coming this week so depending how widespread that is it may be a big help.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts