Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today we were riding in the woods and came to a ditch. I went to cross put Viking in 4wd and the front shaft slipped again. Last time I waited two monts for one. This time ill tack it or do a shear pin. I wasnt very happy. Slipped way to easy.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Man that sucks, I hope you fix it the right way!!

Sent from my Galaxy S5 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trying to decide what would be best option to fix it. I had to be pulled out of ditch bc the front end wouldn't turn anymore. If I break a shear pin itd be hard to line it back up. Thats why I thought a small tack weld might be the trick. But im not sure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Keep us posted I'm having the same issue. Seemed way to easy to slip. Haven't replaced mine yet or decided what to do.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Man that sucks. I guess it awaits us all if it is a weak point. Is this slip joint visalbe from under thw wheel well or is this just in front of the tranny?

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you take off the middle seat you can see it right in front of the motor under the air filter box. Its the piece that looks like a sleeve on the first shaft.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Today we were riding in the woods and came to a ditch. I went to cross put Viking in 4wd and the front shaft slipped again. Last time I waited two monts for one. This time ill tack it or do a shear pin. I wasnt very happy. Slipped way to easy.
I sure hate to hear that. What size tire's and what kind do you have?

I'm just wondering if the more aggressive tires contribute to the issue? It should be able to handle it either way IMO. Trying to figure out if they " Yamaha" may have over engineered a safety stop to the point of it being too much.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
He's got 27" Mudlite XTRs

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
27" mudlite xtr's love the tires. I really do like my viking there is just a few things I wish were different.

·
Registered
312 Posts
27" mudlite xtr's love the tires. I really do like my viking there is just a few things I wish were different.
UUUGGGHHHH............so do I! I added some more to my initial question, you answered faster than I could get it saved :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ill tell ya what those tires work very well. I climbed a hill in 2wd that my buddies in there rzr's were struggling to climb in 2wd. When I first rolled the hill I didn't wanna do it bc it wad like straight up and the rzr's dug the bottom out. I rolled the hill couple times then went for it. I didn't even spin. Thing went right up it. The rzr's had to bounce it bc they didnt have the wheel base to do how I did it. I did in 4wd to and crawled it easy.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ill tell ya what those tires work very well. I climbed a hill in 2wd that my buddies in there rzr's were struggling to climb in 2wd. When I first rolled the hill I didn't wanna do it bc it wad like straight up and the rzr's dug the bottom out. I rolled the hill couple times then went for it. I didn't even spin. Thing went right up it. The rzr's had to bounce it bc they didnt have the wheel base to do how I did it. I did in 4wd to and crawled it easy.
I agree, love the XTR's! Seems to ride better and better the more miles I get on them. You can really see the radial construction work in the mud, the foot print widens out and on we go.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya they are an amazing tire. Of course most itp tires are. I dont like the bias mud lites though. Dont do near as well. The radial wears amazing.

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
I sure hate to hear that. What size tire's and what kind do you have?

I'm just wondering if the more aggressive tires contribute to the issue?
Yeah for sure, bigger diameters and more aggressive tread would definitely contribute to the problem.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts