Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may get "burned" on this post, but here goes. Few nights ago, took a buddy for a quick 45 MPH run down the dirt road. Once, home I noticed the exhaust pipe between the engine and muffler glowing red hot! I've owned all kinds of wheelers, but this alarms me. Talking to a Polaris Ranger friend of mine, says he has seen the same thing on occasion. My run was not "on the floor" but for a total distance of about a mile. Anyone have this experience on their Viking?

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Ive never really looked at the muffler any, but i know when i ride it, and park it, i hear the tinging metal sound from the heat in the muffler area.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's typical on most new machines these days due to emissions. These new four strokes are designed to run very lean to help them pass the emissions standards. I would go as far to say almost any new machine out there will glow red after a good ride.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Ive never really looked at the muffler any, but i know when i ride it, and park it, i hear the tinging metal sound from the heat in the muffler area.
Even my car, a V8, is like that after driving it normally and even driving it hard, i'll park it up right after and hear that sound. Even for someone new that sound definitely isn't a sound of something that has gone bad

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, the tinkling sound is common to me, just the fact that the pipe is red hot is new to me. Anyone care to take a night run and then look at the pipe from both sides to see if your does the same?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yammerhammer ive already done that couple weeks ago. It was cherry red. Its normal for them. Its a high compression engine also they run them lean for emissions purposes. And they are restricted as well. Need more flow. The head pipe is plenty big just the muffler.

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
88 Posts
WOW Guess if you ride in the deep stuff you had better watch that nothing get's built up under there or you'll be filing a claim with your insurance agent for a new machine.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
WOW Guess if you ride in the deep stuff you had better watch that nothing get's built up under there or you'll be filing a claim with your insurance agent for a new machine.
Thats a very good point, and thats if yours is insured..

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just had a recall done this past Spring on my Commander. Same problem but it caused fires so they added a heavy plastic screen to try to prevent grass and other thing's from piling up between the skid plate and head pipe. The fires where happening under the drivers seat and it isn't easy to get to you have to remove a lot of plastic.
The good, the motor and exhaust on the Viking is under the bed which make it much easier to see and access if something does happen .

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info. guys. That eases my mind alot.!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I may get "burned" on this post, but here goes. Few nights ago, took a buddy for a quick 45 MPH run down the dirt road. Once, home I noticed the exhaust pipe between the engine and muffler glowing red hot! I've owned all kinds of wheelers, but this alarms me. Talking to a Polaris Ranger friend of mine, says he has seen the same thing on occasion. My run was not "on the floor" but for a total distance of about a mile. Anyone have this experience on their Viking?
I had this happen on my 2002 polaris sportsman 700, first year machine, it got so hot it warped the head and had to be replaced under warranty. Next year they added a metal guard on the header to dissipate heat and increased the water pump capacity. It would get so hot you could see through the header needlesss to say i got rid of it and never bought another polaris again. I will say i rode that quad hard thou, to the bar for 20 minutes straight sometimes, hopefully this isn't the case with your side by side.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Its so hot...how how is it? Its so hot, it burn't my exhaust wrap to shreads, and had to remove what was left of it...

·
Super Moderator
4,281 Posts
All of the WR450's I have owned have the same type of header as the Viking and they all glow red hot for the first 6 inches or so, so going by that I'd say it's normal. My Viking idles a fair bit so I better check to see how hot the head and diff are getting.

·
Registered
854 Posts
All of the WR450's I have owned have the same type of header as the Viking and they all glow red hot for the first 6 inches or so, so going by that I'd say it's normal. My Viking idles a fair bit so I better check to see how hot the head and diff are getting.
With it happening with that sort of consistency, it sure seems normal.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Thanks for the info. guys. That eases my mind alot.!
Ease your mind some more and add a heat shield just below the pipe. Keeps all that heat away from the rear diff and boots. I cut some 16ga sheet metal, painted it with black high temp paint and bolted it on for $15.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Talking with my dealer he advised to not put heat wrap on the pipe. He said from experience the heat wrap will cause the pipe to become brittle and start cracking. I like the thought of the sheet metal to keep heat of the differential. It does get warm there. This is my pipe after idling for a while

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,281 Posts
Yeah that's normal, it's only very thin stainless or titanium or whatever it is, it has to glow hot. I grabbed hold of my brother in laws WR450 exhaust right on the header one day as he was pushing it up a ramp onto the back of my truck, burnt the sh*t out of both my hands, lesson learnt haha

1 - 20 of 27 Posts