Viking Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Viking has a strange knock in the engine, or what seems to be coming from the engine, mainly when cold. It happens right after I start it and as I put my foot on the accelerator it goes knock knock knock then as the revs pick up the knock disappears. Has anyone else noticed this? The knock seems to be worse the colder it is and this morning it was our first cold morning this year, 5 degrees C, and the knock was quite loud. It only does it as you accelerate from idle and nowhere else in the rev range. Any ideas anyone? Just to give you an idea it sounds like a big end knock which no doubt it isn't.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I know exactly what u mean happens to me when I get off the throttle as well sounds like engine knock but maybe from somewhere else

·
Registered
854 Posts
Interesting, first time seeing this being reported. Have you ever contacted the dealer about this to see what knowledge they may have on it?

·
Registered
268 Posts
My Viking has a strange knock in the engine, or what seems to be coming from the engine, mainly when cold. It happens right after I start it and as I put my foot on the accelerator it goes knock knock knock then as the revs pick up the knock disappears. Has anyone else noticed this? The knock seems to be worse the colder it is and this morning it was our first cold morning this year, 5 degrees C, and the knock was quite loud. It only does it as you accelerate from idle and nowhere else in the rev range. Any ideas anyone? Just to give you an idea it sounds like a big end knock which no doubt it isn't.
Hey cactus you should record a video when the sounds occurs. That would be easier for every one to diagnos.

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting, first time seeing this being reported. Have you ever contacted the dealer about this to see what knowledge they may have on it?
No but I will ring them today and see what they say.

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey cactus you should record a video when the sounds occurs. That would be easier for every one to diagnos.
Ok thanks for that I'll give it a go today.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have that quick knock right off idle as well maybe 2 or 3 quick knocks just as rpms come up. I think it could be a clutch noise. Definitely not a rod knock, it would be on decel if it was. I'm pretty sure its nothing to worry about. I cannot find an rpm to make it constant so I'm not concerned.

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have that quick knock right off idle as well maybe 2 or 3 quick knocks just as rpms come up. I think it could be a clutch noise. Definitely not a rod knock, it would be on decel if it was. I'm pretty sure its nothing to worry about. I cannot find an rpm to make it constant so I'm not concerned.
That's exactly the one, just three quick knocks as you come off idle, they are very pronounced though. No definitely not a rod knock, it just sounds like one!

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome, did you by any chance call them and get an answer?
Was in a meeting all day today (funnily enough with two guys from USA Georgia Uni) but will call in the morning. I don't think they will know much anyhow, I'm probably better off calling the US direct, unless someone here wants too, it's not a local call for me haha, I can email Yamaha US though.

record a video!
Yep will do in the morning.

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Most likely the weights/rollers in the clutch that you're hearing. My grizzly 700 did the same thing, it was never an issue.
Ok thanks for that info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts