Viking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to disengage the engine brake on this machine? For slow speeds it royally sucks. It is impossible to keep a constant speed of 2-3 mph while spraying weeds with my sprayer and spray bar.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Man, i know exactly how you feel, driving around slow, i have a very hard time keeping it at a constant speed, and if somebody else drives it, that never has, you get wipelash, cause they let off the gas a bit, and just stops you, unlike my 2010 Ranger, you let off the gas, and it just rolled. I've never liked that feature at all. Sure if you do alot of going up & down hills, great. I dont. Should be a on/off switch for it

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Its all flat around here, so i dont really need it. I would think, they did something for it to have Engine braking, so seems like they oculd remove it.

·
Super Moderator
4,701 Posts
It would just be a sprag bearing in the clutch system that is giving the engine braking. It could be quite easy to remove, would need to look at diagrams.

Forkliftking the centrifugal clutch is also the problem, you won't be able to idle along at low speeds with one of them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would just be a sprag bearing in the clutch system that is giving the engine braking. It could be quite easy to remove, would need to look at diagrams.

Forkliftking the centrifugal clutch is also the problem, you won't be able to idle along at low speeds with one of them.
A golf cart has a centrifugal clutch and it goes at slow speeds.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
yeah, its took some getting used to, im better at it, but some days i have a hard time keeping steady pressure on it the peddle, any little let up, and it stops, and you get the whiplash affect. When i first got the Viking, i couldn't hardly stand to drive it, I disliked it that much. But, like i said, its gotten better, i still dont like it though, id rather it not have it. Like i said, if somebody else drives it, thats not ever drove it, like my sister, when she comes over with my 2 nieces, get ready for some whiplash, lol.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
i would just be happy if there was a way to decrease the engine braking. it helps out alot with all the hills i ride but kills me trying to go 5-7 mph thru rocky bumpy terrain. which is all i ride in. im better at it now than when i first got it but i still hate it and would remove it in a heartbeat if i could. or like i said earlier at least make it not so harsh

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Somebody call there dealer, and ask them if it can be removed.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It would be nice to have a switch that turns it on and off. My semi has a switch I can hit that gives me engine braking for hill braking but can be switched off for normal rolling. Not sure how it all works but would be perfect for the viking. I really like the engine braking on my hilly wooded trail riding but for putting around my house it would be nice to not have it. Not that big of a deal though.

·
Super Moderator
4,701 Posts
A golf cart has a centrifugal clutch and it goes at slow speeds.
Yeah it ONLY goes at slow speeds haha. Probably a lot smaller clutch that locks up earlier, who knows. It's just that with any centrifugal clutch the revs have to be to get the clutch to engage which stops you from idling along like you could in a normal geared vehicle.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
I have a brush hog I pull behind my viking and it took a little practice because I wasn't supposed to mow faster than 5mph, talk about a pain, and either I'm getting better at it, or with more hours on the viking the throttle isn't as touchy and easier to control at slow speeds, cause it's been a whole lot easier to maintain a set speed now then before

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Glad im not the only one that felt this way about the engine brake/touchy throttle

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have abot a thousand miles on mine now, and I have noticed that the engine brake is less now than it was new. So it does wear down a bit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I put a Stiffer spring on the gas pedal to help with this. I use mine alot to spray around my fences and it was horrible at first. When i put the stiffer spring on it helped out a ton. Mine has 1250 miles on it and it seems to be just as strong as it was new. I have alot of hills on my farm and it helps out more than it hurts. Hardly ever have to use the brakes even when towing 150 gallon spray rig.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I called my dealer about it awhile back, and was telling them how much i hated the engine brake, and he said, the way it does it is wiht a one way bearing, he said you can remove it, with out any issue, cost about 400 i think he said.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts