Viking Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,233 Posts
Hey I am trying to change out my brake pads and i noticed that the factory brake pads had a white “fiber” shim and silver metal shin do I re install those

I would leave them in, they would be there for heat etc

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Hey I am trying to change out my brake pads and i noticed that the factory brake pads had a white “fiber” shim and silver metal shin do I re install those

I would leave them in, they would be there for heat etc

Thanks that’s what I figured I just was curious brakes are something I don’t want to screw up!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have had a squeak since day one of my Viking my mechanic at the dealership said because I do short trips and a lot of breaking to take it out get it up to speed and hit the brakes hard every once in a while and the squeak will go away so far that has continued to work for me just thought I would add that

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Whatever works, but the short trip thing is BS.

Sent from the bottom of a whiskey bottle

·
Registered
344 Posts
Monkey has the fix read his post.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My brakes squeaked since the day I picked up my Viking. Riding the brakes while driving down hill just shortens the life of your pads and rotors and doesnt fix the problem.

I took the time yesterday to do the front brakes and it worked so well I did the rear brakes this morning. In total it took about 2 hours and it was time well spent. None of them squeak at all. What a relief!

Pic 1: All you really need is disc brake grease, a 12mm socket, metric hex keys, a paper towel and a flat blade screwdriver (for applying grease).

Pic 2: Find the two pad retaining pins and break them loose with your hex key. Don't remove them yet.

Pic 3: Remove the two 12 mm caliper bolts.

Pic 4: Unscrew the two pad retaining pins with your hex key.

Pic 5: Use the hex key to push the pins out.

Pic 6: Remove the pads and clean the parts.

Pic 7: Grease the spring and all pad contact points. Insert the pad retaining pins part way and grease them too.

Pic 8: Grease the back of the inner pad as shown and install it by pushing down against the spring while you slide the pins through the holes.

Pic 9: Repeat with outer pad. Screw the pad retaining pins all the way in.

Pic 10: Grease the slide pins and reassemble.
Question- it's been awhile since you posted this? How long did this fix last before you had to do it again? Or did you have a new an improved fix?

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
It is actually not any kind of mechanical fix. In the end it is just about cleaning and greasing things correctly. For me it lasted for years since 99% of my trips are very short and I don't drive through mud or dust. It is due again but this will be only the second time. It is like the parking brake fix. Just a proper adjustment. Mine is still perfect after something like 5 years.

Sent from my SM-F707U using Tapatalk

81 - 90 of 90 Posts