Viking Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just been ridding the brake at the start of each run and that takes the squeak away. Till next time. Only got 62 hrs on ours but still does the squeaking every time I pull it out for a spin .

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I just been ridding the brake at the start of each run and that takes the squeak away. Till next time. Only got 62 hrs on ours but still does the squeaking every time I pull it out for a spin .
That's just going to wear down your pads and discs.

I blame Rob and James for making me need new tires & safety harnesses.
Sent from the top of Poop Mountain

·
Super Moderator
4,233 Posts
... I'd like to see Cactus smack someone in the face with a dead chicken. That's pretty much all that's missing from this scene.
Hey skrillz that's already happened, although last time I tried it she went home and never came back hmmm

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
you know what they say.....kinky is using a feather..... perverted is using the whole chicken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: cactus

·
Registered
344 Posts
Finally had all the brake squealing i could take and did all four today,now it's like a totally different ride thanks for this post BM glad i remembered seeing it,anyone with this problem this is the FIX.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Finally had all the brake squealing i could take and did all four today,now it's like a totally different ride thanks for this post BM glad i remembered seeing it,anyone with this problem this is the FIX.
Glad it fixed the problem!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,233 Posts
Amazingly my new Viking's brakes don't squeak at all, I guess Yamaha must have read BM's thread and finally learnt a lesson!

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
They owe me a bottle of bourbon

·
Registered
344 Posts
With all the stuff people have found fixes for on here they ought to ship out a case or two,something else i noticed today was how much easier it is to push this thing now after the brake service,they must have been dragging pretty good.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
With all the stuff people have found fixes for on here they ought to ship out a case or two,something else i noticed today was how much easier it is to push this thing now after the brake service,they must have been dragging pretty good.
Dont miss the parking brake fix. Takes only a few minutes and worth it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Saw that post soon as you posted it,went from full pull to couple of clicks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks so much for doing this write-up. I did mine last week using your steps and the squeaking has gotten 90% better. Since it was so easy I think I'll give it a month or so and if it's still squeaking I'll pull them off and lube again. So much more of an enjoyable ride now, thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
4,233 Posts
I greased mine up like Badmonkey said, never again, first ride down a big steep hill I put my foot on the brake and couldn't stop! No more squeak and no more stop!

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I greased mine up like Badmonkey said, never again, first ride down a big steep hill I put my foot on the brake and couldn't stop! No more squeak and no more stop!
Haha! My plan succeeded!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My brakes squeaked since the day I picked up my Viking. Riding the brakes while driving down hill just shortens the life of your pads and rotors and doesnt fix the problem.

I took the time yesterday to do the front brakes and it worked so well I did the rear brakes this morning. In total it took about 2 hours and it was time well spent. None of them squeak at all. What a relief!

Pic 1: All you really need is disc brake grease, a 12mm socket, metric hex keys, a paper towel and a flat blade screwdriver (for applying grease).

Pic 2: Find the two pad retaining pins and break them loose with your hex key. Don't remove them yet.

Pic 3: Remove the two 12 mm caliper bolts.

Pic 4: Unscrew the two pad retaining pins with your hex key.

Pic 5: Use the hex key to push the pins out.

Pic 6: Remove the pads and clean the parts.

Pic 7: Grease the spring and all pad contact points. Insert the pad retaining pins part way and grease them too.

Pic 8: Grease the back of the inner pad as shown and install it by pushing down against the spring while you slide the pins through the holes.

Pic 9: Repeat with outer pad. Screw the pad retaining pins all the way in.

Pic 10: Grease the slide pins and reassemble.
I've done the same as this but used anti seize with success. Great write-up and photos!

·
Registered
344 Posts
If you ride a lot of mud and water you will need to do this more often ,checked mine after a 200 mile trip n WV and the pads were packed in mud had to take them apart to get good and clean and re greased them again,but Monkeys fix stops the squeaks,but cactus must not have used enough cause he lived to tell the tale.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow! All these years I've been using WD-40 on all of my Yamaha breaks. LOL! I will need to try the grease idea. Mine squeaks also and I only have 140 miles.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Hey I am trying to change out my brake pads and i noticed that the factory brake pads had a white “fiber” shim and silver metal shin do I re install those

61 - 80 of 90 Posts