Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My brakes squeaked since the day I picked up my Viking. Riding the brakes while driving down hill just shortens the life of your pads and rotors and doesnt fix the problem.

I took the time yesterday to do the front brakes and it worked so well I did the rear brakes this morning. In total it took about 2 hours and it was time well spent. None of them squeak at all. What a relief!

Pic 1: All you really need is disc brake grease, a 12mm socket, metric hex keys, a paper towel and a flat blade screwdriver (for applying grease).

Pic 2: Find the two pad retaining pins and break them loose with your hex key. Don't remove them yet.

Pic 3: Remove the two 12 mm caliper bolts.

Pic 4: Unscrew the two pad retaining pins with your hex key.

Pic 5: Use the hex key to push the pins out.

Pic 6: Remove the pads and clean the parts.

Pic 7: Grease the spring and all pad contact points. Insert the pad retaining pins part way and grease them too.

Pic 8: Grease the back of the inner pad as shown and install it by pushing down against the spring while you slide the pins through the holes.

Pic 9: Repeat with outer pad. Screw the pad retaining pins all the way in.

Pic 10: Grease the slide pins and reassemble.

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
I am lucky. My brakes never had this problem. Your post is very well presented with clear photos of your fix. Nice Job!

Reactions: Warlock

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I may have to give that a try. looks simple. thanks for taking the time to take pics and do the write up

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Mine squeezed for the first 500 or so miles, haven't had any issues since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am lucky. My brakes never had this problem. Your post is very well presented with clear photos of your fix. Nice Job!
Its hard to explain how much the squeaking distracted from my enjoying the Viking. It was such a drag that something brand new that cost over $10K, would squeak like that. Now that it is quiet I enjoy it 10X as much.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yea, finally someone that took some pictures at the proper distance so we know what the heck we are looking at. Most the photos to close.

The squeak has not bothered me as of yet, but will make note of this post.

Thanks

Joe

·
Super Moderator
4,239 Posts
Good write-up BM, mods might want to pin and lock this thread? My brakes have never squeaked either funnily enough.

Reactions: Warlock

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's been 3 months and a tough winter. The brakes still don't squeak.

·
Registered
473 Posts
This has been on my list as it is driving me crazy!! I agree a brand new machine that cost this much should not have little problems!

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't believe I never saw this thread before now. Mine FINALLY stopped squealing on their own. But very nice, detailed "how to". Good job BadM0nkey!!
Thanks. I live to serve. (or so my wife thinks)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Mine are squeaking like never before. I am just curious if your fix has lasted? If so I might do the same this weekend. Never caught this post before. Great info and pics...thank you!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was hopeful but I definitely need to do this, brakes squeek bad now. Thanks for the write up.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine are squeaking like never before. I am just curious if your fix has lasted? If so I might do the same this weekend. Never caught this post before. Great info and pics...thank you!
Yup they still dont squeak.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Good job, well done .. warranty should have cover that .. that was part of a bad PDI , of which I would have turn the service people into experts! This is commonly done when replacement brakes job is done on vehicles, unfortunately the average person is not aware of the precedure,, :°)

·
Registered
477 Posts
i guess i know what i will be doing this weekend or next, mine has 12hrs on it and left front has squeaked after the 1st hour or 2.....and yeah you spend that kind of money on something that was just put together and prepped at the dealer you shouldn't have any issues like that. haven't had it in the mud but has been across a shallow creek crossing a couple times so that's probably what made it start now that i think about it. oh well guess while its still new and all clean would be the best time to do it anyway.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
^^^^Same here. I always forget about it til I'm on the trail and then I pull it off the trailer and think to myself "Why have I not done the squeak fix yet?"

1 - 20 of 90 Posts