Viking Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so yesterday we did some serious hill climbing on rocky hillsides. These hills were so steep I did not stand a chance at making it to the top without having the Viking's Dif-Lock engaged. As I would climb these rocky hills the Viking would bite with one tire, then the other. Literally the steering wheel was ripped from my hands on more than one occassion. Not to mention, when you get in a bind with a tire up against a rock, ok a boulder, it took everything I had to turn the tires with the Dif-lock engaged. This morning my hands hurt so badly it was difficult to type this post and my arms are still fatigued.

My buddies RZR has EPS and he had absolutely no issues with the steering. He says, though he was wore out from the day of riding, he experienced none of the harshness with the steering.

If you are riding trails or on flat ground, or just using around your place, you can get by without EPS and really won't notice a huge difference with a non-eps model. However, if you plan to really ride/abuse your Viking I would recommend the EPS.

I am now regretting not making the $1000.00 jump to an EPS model. You can bet I will be researching the aftermarket powersteering kits.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Ive had the Super ATV EZ Steer Power steering kit for a few months now, and i love it, i have no doubt you would too!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive had the Super ATV EZ Steer Power steering kit for a few months now, and i love it, i have no doubt you would too!!!
I will check it out.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I got it for $590, i contacted them through the Rhinoforum.net site, where they are a sponcer, and they gave me that price.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I feel like you have to be doing some serious hill climbing for the EPS to be worth it. Even if you enjoy trail riding, most people won't really miss the EPS IMO. Really depends on how you are planning to use your Viking.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feel like you have to be doing some serious hill climbing for the EPS to be worth it. Even if you enjoy trail riding, most people won't really miss the EPS IMO. Really depends on how you are planning to use your Viking.
I totally agree. If it's just casual riding, no need for it. Serious off-roading... IT'S A MUST! IMO

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello aappleton,I absolutely love the terrain of southern Missouri and north Arkansas ,have tried to talk my wife into moving there when she retires but she loves the beaches of Alabama.When I test drove the viking the 4 wheel drive with diff lock made it very hard to handle without eps.All I could think about was how my old ford 8n and 2000 would beat my thumbs up when hitting a stump or rut.Decided to go ahead and get eps and I have no regrets ,makes it all to easy maneuvering thru trees when in the woods.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yes ive had my wheel ripped outta my hands as well. It certainly sucks when your in a bind. Definitely thinkin bout the eps system Viking2k14 has.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Before Installing the EZ Steer kit, if you put it in Diff Loc, you pretty much be better going in a straight line, you could barely turn the wheel, it was very hard, but with the EPS installed now, its nothing, super easy.

Reactions: aappleton

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Im used to having EPS, My Can-am came with it, so i really like it, and im used to it. So it felt wierd not having it, especially on a sxs as big as the Viking, i like driving it around much more now.

·
Registered
520 Posts
No need to regret! There are more and more options for EPS kits on the Viking
If you find a need for it I'd def look into some of those kits.

Like mentioned above. There are a few members here who have EPS kits and love them. Ends up being cheaper too!

·
Registered
4 Posts
One of the main reasons I bought the Viking and I will never own any unit without it works awesome with diff locked couldn't believe it!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts