Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been working on a functional and clean mod, for between the cab and the front of the bed, to help with the sound deadening. I came up with something pretty simple and effective.

Supplies:
1 - old beat up bed liner or rubber mat
Approx 6 ft. each of 1/2" and 1" copper insulation
2 small 3" "L" brackets
A few 1/4 screws, washers and nuts

First, I made a pattern out of cardboard for the area directly over the engine...and then used it to cut out a piece of the bed liner. Notice in the photo how I left a couple long ends (both sides) to tuck down in between the rails. I'm going to add a couple of the plastic fasteners later...but it's in there pretty good.

View attachment 2897

Next, on the passenger side, I did the same thing for the area directly behind the passenger seat, (over the gas tank). Make this just a little longer than the distance between the back of the seat and the bed. Now, with that piece in there and supported, close the bed and position two 3" "L" brackets...and then mark and drill 2 small holes in the front of the bed. Once these are attached, do the same with the piece of bed liner and drill and attach it to the "L" brackets. In the photo below, I've already done the next step...but you can see where the 2 "L" brackets are.

View attachment 2905

With the bed open, you will notice two short sections and one long (middle) section...on the bed latch rod. Cut to fit the smaller insulation and put it on each section. Now do the same with the larger stuff and put it over the smaller stuff. It should fit like this....(but over the rod)

View attachment 2913

View attachment 2937

You are done!!! Behind the drivers seat, the insulation fits snug between the bed and the breather.

View attachment 2921

On the passenger side, the piece of bed liner stays on the bed when you tilt it so you can still get to the oil dipstick. And when you close the bed it covers the area over the gas tank and between the bed and back of the passenger seat. The foam isolation fills the gap between the bed and the pieces of cut bed liner all of the way across.

View attachment 2929

As far as sound goes, I have the heavy Yamaha bed liner and the Yamaha cargo box....and with all of this, it IS quieter. I now need to get the bed sprayed with Rhino Liner. Then I'm going to do the sound deadening stuff under the seats. One thing I do notice MUCH more now, is the exhaust noise. I guess it's more noticeable because I am not hearing the engine as much. Maybe a Kolpin, Benz or Flo-master muffler is in the future.

This is an EASY mod and it does help. I have less than $20 in it (I found the bed liner on Craigslist for $10) I don't know how "quiet" we can get these, but I think it's looking up!...and I do believe I am slowly chasing the noise away! This will probably help with the dust too.

M-N-T

·
Registered
20 Posts
Questions:
Any concern with engine heat considering its proximity to the bed mat material?

Would a tailgate mat be enough material?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Questions:
Any concern with engine heat considering its proximity to the bed mat material?

Would a tailgate mat be enough material?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heat shouldn't be an issue at all, that mat is over the plastic and rubber stuff around the intake. A tailgate mat would be plenty.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I wonder if there are any better materials out there that would be more effective? I am thinking some type of heat resistant foam or something. It might start to get expensive if you get into materials like that though.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder if there are any better materials out there that would be more effective? I am thinking some type of heat resistant foam or something. It might start to get expensive if you get into materials like that though.
They used to make a quilted fiberglass blanket for the Rhino...the more sound absorbent the better. I really don't think the heat is an issue at all. If you look at where the center piece goes, there's a bunch of rubber/plastic there anyways. I even thought of adding the Dynaliner to the bottom of the mat.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tried this mod. not for the sound but to keep the snow from being sucked in worked perfect.No snow in the cab or frost on the windshield.

·
Registered
54 Posts
MnT -

The next Henry Ford! I have to commend yo on a very creative and awesome noise reduction job. Thank you for sharing the pictures too...

Now, questions:

1. Is it necessary to separate the piece over the fuel tank on passenger side or is it possible to leave it one piece?

2. any plans for the roof cap? I have read some comments that the roof cap provides a "speak-like" effect" and amplifies the existing Viking noise...

3. any plans for the space under drivers seat? I placed a nylon water-proof bag for tools, plug-in winch, etc.. and noticed it took away some real loud rattles... any ideas?

thanks PP

·
Registered
33 Posts
Very nice! I bought everything at local farm and home came to $35.00 I would say it cut down on noise 40% Great Job! Thanks for sharing! BTW total time 2.5 hours and two beers what a great afternoon.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MnT -

The next Henry Ford! I have to commend yo on a very creative and awesome noise reduction job. Thank you for sharing the pictures too...

Now, questions:

1. Is it necessary to separate the piece over the fuel tank on passenger side or is it possible to leave it one piece?

2. any plans for the roof cap? I have read some comments that the roof cap provides a "speak-like" effect" and amplifies the existing Viking noise...

3. any plans for the space under drivers seat? I placed a nylon water-proof bag for tools, plug-in winch, etc.. and noticed it took away some real loud rattles... any ideas?

thanks PP

Hey PP, thanks for the kind words!

1. I originally did cut a piece that went all of the way from over the engine to over the gas tank. However, I wanted that center piece to seal around/under the seat belt retractor and the roll cage. So by leaving the center in, I cut it so it fits tight up against the middle seat and under the retractor. On top of that, it allows you to better cover the area around the latches and the saddle were the bed rail sits.

2. No plans for the roof at this time...I'm focusing on isolating the engine/area/noise from the cab.

3. I have been looking at that area under the seat and do have a couple ideas. You make a great point about the noise issue in this area. All of that this sheet metal acts as a huge resonator, and there is definitely some sound deadening ability in there! I went to a local gravel pit and picked up a small piece of conveyor belt. I first cut pieces for my floor board, for floor mats. It's pretty heavy stuff, and worked GREAT (only cost me $10). Now planning on cutting a piece for under the driver's seat. There was also a good write up on that Dynamat stuff that looks like it would work well in there too. I too want to use this area for storage...there's a TON of room down there. So, I've decided to break this up into two different sections. I might try one of the OEM under seat storage containers first. Then I'm looking for something tall and thin (with a lid) to slide down in the back when the bed is open. I'm thinking this would be a good place for a jack and tools. Things I would hopefully rarely need but would be glad to have 10 miles out into the boonies.
Right now, my ride is in pieces, as I should be getting my custom switch and gauge panels in this week....along with the pieces I mailed out so they could measure for templates. Also expecting to get my new tires this week(26.5 Pit Bull Rockers)

·
Registered
54 Posts
MnT,

man...its good old ingenuity that makes this country! Dude, I agree on the under driver seat stuff.. great long term storage... I respect your resourcefulness as well.

Anyone can write a check and fix issues, however when we think it out..the solutions generally follow

keep your energy flowin on this site, it is appreciated.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I Am concerned about the noise level on the Viking. I want to use it for hunting and obviously the quieter the better. I haven't really even driven mine yet but am getting nervous off of everyone's comments. First thing I did was the box liner spray on the box, inside and out, plastics off etc hoping to start there in noise reduction. I am going to do MnT s mod with the mat that he has outlined in this thread. I am going to take my time and really try to blanket the Noise. I bought a rubber horse trailer mat from UFA today. It's half inch thick. 5x7 ft and must weigh 130-150 lbs. it's heavy stuff. I have read that the Yamaha box bed mat makes a difference as well, and I had already purchased that when I bought the unit. I downloaded a decibel app and took some readings at idle without the mat and then with the mat. They were 88.5 and 87.5 respectively. I didn't take a reading before the spray box liner because I didn't think I would be going this deep into the noise mods. I will post readings as I progress if anyone is interested as I blanket this thing.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I too bought mine for hunting. You might want to check into the Kolpin and Benz mufflers. Do a You Tube search and there's tons of info out there. They really seem to work well in quieting down the exhaust. What I'm gathering is that, although they make your ride MUCH quieter for someone standing next to it. They don't do a whole bunch for in the cab noise. Most of what you are hearing inside the cab in engine and tranny noise.

VERY interested in the results!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tried some of your ideas this weekend. Didn't think it would help that much so I just threw some foam over center part of motor and did the insulated tubing on bed mechanism. Spent all of about 15 or 20 minutes total. Went for a ride around the block and couldn't believe the difference. Much more enjoyable. Now I'm going to get serious and do it right. Also have a few ideas of my own using the Dynamat and Dynaliner stuff. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Sounds like alot of great info, but for now, my ear plugs, work awesome, lol.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I ended up pulling the seats and the plastic beneath them. I draped the matting thru from the roll bar frame down to the floor and notched out for any obtrutions. Basically a three section rubber curtain across. I also then cut a piece that goes under the bed and slides up to the roll bar . I notched it out so it slides over the frame rail and envelopes the roll bars. I drilled holes for where the box latches go thru and had to make some cut outs for a few spots so the box closes and latches normally. Then I put a piece o the vertical front of the box between the roll bar and box. All in all, on the decibel meter, went from about 89 to 85 , so I didn't eel that it is that impressive. However with the inking running, and standing just out side of it, if you stic your head inside to abut where the headrest is and then back out, it is quite a noticeable difference. I Amy go withe the Benz muffler now as well. Not to sure. Might wait for some reviews on it.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Got waste the money on stealth exhausts

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I ended up pulling the seats and the plastic beneath them. I draped the matting thru from the roll bar frame down to the floor and notched out for any obtrutions. Basically a three section rubber curtain across. I also then cut a piece that goes under the bed and slides up to the roll bar . I notched it out so it slides over the frame rail and envelopes the roll bars. I drilled holes for where the box latches go thru and had to make some cut outs for a few spots so the box closes and latches normally. Then I put a piece o the vertical front of the box between the roll bar and box. All in all, on the decibel meter, went from about 89 to 85 , so I didn't eel that it is that impressive. However with the inking running, and standing just out side of it, if you stic your head inside to abut where the headrest is and then back out, it is quite a noticeable difference. I Amy go withe the Benz muffler now as well. Not to sure. Might wait for some reviews on it.
I have been in contact with the Benz muffler Folks and you might want to hold off for just a bit. They found out that the OEM bumper brackets contact the muffler when you tilt the bed...so they are looking to see if they can modify it a bit. Looks like the EMP bumper brackets will have the same issue. I have done a ton of research and I'm planning on getting one of these mufflers because I want the machine itself to be quieter for hunting. All of the reviews pretty much echo the fact that the noise reduction in the cab will be less than the noise reduction of the exhaust itself. But they do indicate that the exhaust noise reduction will be very noticeable. Also, if you are planning on running at anything over 4,000 feet in elevation, be sure to mention this when you order it because they modify it just a bit to compensate.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I too am interested in overall noise reduction in addition to the cab noise being reduced. I realize it will never be a stealth machine but I like to do what I can.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts