Viking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been trail riding in my Viking quite a bit lately and feel that I should touch upon something that I haven't heard much about on a Viking.
First ill start out by saying that I have a full windshield that is vented and the vent is open and a Yamaha rear window. The trail riding I mostly do is an old gravel railroad bed. It is higher speed, ususally 25-30 mph. While im riding ive noticed a lot of dust coming back into the cab even though I have the rear window to help prevent the "rear vortex" effect.
The other thing ive noticed is that it gets HOT in the cab. Not only is the vortex bringing the dust in but I feel that its also pulling the heat from the engine back into the cab. I feel like my poor 6 year old is cooking in that center seat!! When we stop to take a break he is all red and sweaty. Has anyone else had this problem and solved it?
The riding is done in the woods of Wisconsin where it tends to stay fairly cool and shaded. I cant imagine what this thing would be like in a hotter climate. I really need to work on isolating the cab from the bed somehow.

·
Administrator
1,816 Posts
Maybe install some A/C? ;)

I would think that taking the windshield off, or folding it down in the summer months would be the best thing to do.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe install some A/C? ;)

I would think that taking the windshield off, or folding it down in the summer months would be the best thing to do.
I don't have the folding kind and I usually ride 70-80 miles at a crack and it seems there is always a chance for downpours when I ride to I like having the windshield with me. Unless I have to bit the bullet and just get a folding windshield for the warmer months.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a lot of rubber mat between the box the cab and under the seats between the engine. I think it would have to block someof the heat transfer but. Also think that when myenclosure shows up, I am to Not gonna have much use for the heater I installed even on chilly mornings. I feel a lot of heat thru the seats.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a lot of rubber mat between the box the cab and under the seats between the engine. I think it would have to block someof the heat transfer but. Also think that when myenclosure shows up, I am to Not gonna have much use for the heater I installed even on chilly mornings. I feel a lot of heat thru the seats.
Good lord you aren't kidding. When I was unloading the Viking getting ready for a nice ride the one day it started to rain a bit. I put my enclosure on but not the doors figuring that it was about to rain hard and that I was going to need to pull over and zip on the door soon enough. I proceeded to drive around 10 miles or so and the clouds went away and it was just blue skies. I was so hot in that cab I couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't wait to pull over and take that enclosure off. Man does that thing hold the heat in!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was up in wi riding this weekend and I was surprised on how the heat was a non issue. I have a vented full windshield and Yamaha rear windshield. I noticed a very small amout of heat on a long run
But not bad at all. Now I did do my own sound proofing with a horse stall mat I purchased at fleet farm. I looked at the pics that mass did for us on his soundproofing and I did mine with a horse stall rubber mat. It was a couple hr project but it worked great. Put it under seats and behind seats and under bed box just like mass. Now its probably not as quiet as his but I was able to talk to my wife and daughter while trail riding no problem. It was much better than stock. I was up in the carter wi area.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Ive got the UTV HQ Full vented windshield/Yamaha Rear window, and I haven't noticed any heat issues, get still gets dusty, but not to bad. I did fill the gap though on the top of the Yamaha rear window, between the roof and where the rear window turns in towards the roll cage.

Reactions: Yammerhammer

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It seemed that the faster I went the worse it got. Im going to try the rubber mat/ sound proofing stuff first since I planned on doing that anyway.

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
It seemed that the faster I went the worse it got. Im going to try the rubber mat/ sound proofing stuff first since I planned on doing that anyway.
The only way you'll stop the dust is to take the windscreen off, living in a desert country we have big problems with windscreens and dust, we just can't use them when it's dry.

Fold down is ideal of course, or modify yours so that you can fold it forwards, I did it to an older shooting buggy I had, i set it up so it would fold down onto the hood and sit on two rubber blocks.

Then you'll need sunnies for the bugs!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ive got the UTV HQ Full vented windshield/Yamaha Rear window, and I haven't noticed any heat issues, get still gets dusty, but not to bad. I did fill the gap though on the top of the Yamaha rear window, between the roof and where the rear window turns in towards the roll cage.

How did you seal that window off? I've been wanting to do the same to the front and rear windows.

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I ordered a roll of material off eBay, same stuff the black part of the rear window is made of, cut it to fit that can, and used some industrial strengh velcro to attach it, wanted to use snaps, but went the quick route, but i would recommend snaps. Here's a pic.

Windshield Automotive exterior Vehicle Automotive window part Glass

Reactions: Badger

·
Registered
107 Posts
You will have to take off the windshield or get a folding one to stop the dust and heat. It will make a huge difference

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
If you scroll up to post #17, I put a link.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts