Viking Forum banner

Do Not Purchase Yamaha's Extended Warranty

5K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  bd_skrillz 
#1 · (Edited)
Four months ago I purchased a new 2022 Yamaha Ranch side by side. Against my better judgement, I purchased the extended warranty. Extended warranties have never turned out to be a good deal for me in my life (and I'm 68.) But for whatever reason, I bought it. It added $50 a month to my payments. We signed the paperwork saying at the dealer saying that I agreed to pay so and so for the side by side and extended warranty.

So four months later I get this letter that they plan to raise the rates of the extended warranty up to $500 a year! this really sours my whole experience buying a Yamaha side by side. And once again, I made a huge mistake buying an extended warranty.

Not sure how to respond to them. It only seems fair that if they can jack my rates up to whatever they want, I should have the same right to cancel the warranty altogether.

And can Yamaha then contact me and say that they are raising the price of their machines so I have to start adding such and such to my payments AFTER I've signed the paperwork?

How is it even legal to be able to increase the price of something you bought, AFTER you bought it?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I agree that doesn’t seem right. I don’t like them either. I would try and cancel it. I don’t see how they can hold you to the increase since you have a signed agreement. So you should have the option to cancel it.

#3 ·
It is most certainly not right and honestly sounds like some kind of scam. I would not call the number listed but would call the number on your Y.E.S. service contract to confirm.

Sent from my SM-F707U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sport4x4
#5 ·
Good catch, I see what your talking about once you in large his photo.

Reactions: Ultratec
#7 ·
If you bought the machine 4 months ago, you are still under factory warranty for a couple more months. Read the fine print in that service plan to find out your options. If I were you, I would fight like hell to cancel their BS service plan. Additionally, I would find a new dealer as the one you're currently working with sounds untrustworthy to me. Any extended warranty is only a good as the dealer and to me, it sounds like your dealer sucks! I found that out the hard way when I got screwed by my closest dealer. I'll never do business with them again unless it something like a spark plug.

Personally, if I bought a brand new Viking, I'm not sure I would buy any additional warranty. If I had a few hundred miles on it and everything was working well at the end of my 6 month factory warranty, I would be inclined to just keep running it - they're a very reliable machine. The viking has been out since 2014 and the kinks have been worked out. My Wolverine was a first year model and already had some bad motor rumors floating around before I bought it so I decided to buy the warranty. The Y.E.S. warranty was good for me on my Wolverine and worth every penny.

If you want extended protection, then I would contact Jared at Big Pine Motorsports in Utah and buy the Yamaha Y.E.S. warranty . He sells TONS of Y.E.S. warranties to owners all over the country for a very good price - you just have to buy before your factory warranty runs out. It might be worth a phone call...

Reactions: cactus
#8 ·
Thanks for everyone's comments. I was able to get to the bottom of this and it has nothing to do with Yamaha or Surdyke Motor Sports (which is a very old and reliable dealer in my area.)
This is a complete scam from a company that the dealer has never even heard of. The dealer is getting a copy of the letter so that they can get on top of the issue. And when I read the very small print at the bottom of the letter, they almost say in the letter that it's a scam!

Not sure if I should delete this whole post or not. Don't want to knock down Yamaha or any dealer.

#10 ·
Thanks for everyone's comments. I was able to get to the bottom of this and it has nothing to do with Yamaha or Surdyke Motor Sports (which is a very old and reliable dealer in my area.)
This is a complete scam from a company that the dealer has never even heard of. The dealer is getting a copy of the letter so that they can get on top of the issue. And when I read the very small print at the bottom of the letter, they almost say in the letter that it's a scam!

Not sure if I should delete this whole post or not. Don't want to knock down Yamaha or any dealer.
I am so good!

Reactions: Keitht
#9 ·
No you should leave it, because it may be helpful to someone else in the future.

#12 ·
Good deal! I have never worked with Surdyke in any way so I can't honestly say what type of dealer they are, and for you, I hope they're very good. If I were you though, I would still consider cancelling the extended service plan and purchase a Y.E.S. warranty if you want the protection. I have never seen or heard from anyone where these 3rd party outfits cover anything EVER without a substantial fight and frustration. Just my 2 cents...

#16 ·
It turned out to be a scammer and had nothing to do with yamaha or the dealer.

#18 ·
weird.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.