Viking Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put together a pretty cool spare tire carrier yesterday. I wanted a carrier that, #1 - was easily removable in case I need to dump the bed. #2 - one that would easily tilt out of the way, without having to take the whole thing off, so I could open the tailgate.

Here's the Viking with the carrier all mounted up.

DSCN0352.JPG DSCN0353.JPG

This is the bracket itself. Notice the two pins on top and then the one at the lower hitch attachment.

DSCN0354.JPG DSCN0355.JPG

Pull just the one top pin ,next to the tire, and tilt the tire down for easy bed access. Also set it up so, when tilted, the tire rests on the hitch. This way, if you need to haul something a little longer, you can leave the tire down and it wont rattle like crazy.

DSCN0356.JPG DSCN0357.JPG

Leave that pin in and pull the other two pins to remove entire bracket.

DSCN0358.JPG

This is the upper attachment point. Just used a piece of 2x2 angle iron, attached it to the bed with bolts, and welded a small piece of tubing to it. This photo also shows kinda where the Hushpower muffler is going to go. I just used a couple pieces of flat bar to support it, but will remove those and attach it with the wire brackets it came with Monday.

DSCN0359.JPG

There are no rattles at all now, but it will probably wiggle a bit as time goes by. I'm going to add a jam nut under the tire that will keep it tight and eliminate rattles. FYI: I used a "Curt" 4 inch drop hitch...they come with a longer shank. As you can see, it's inverted, so when you come off a rock or drop-off you wont drag the hitch. Plus, it puts the ball high enough to level out the trailer better. The gap is large enough so I can still hook up my trailer with a "Bulldog" coupler.

Pretty happy with the whole thing. It's going to be nice having the spare with me 10-20 miles back in the boonies!

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Pretty cool.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Very Nice!! You wont have any trouble with the exhaust Nice FAB. Job. Highly rec omend MIG or Tig for exhaust very thin metal.

·
Registered
965 Posts
How much would it cost to have you make me one of those

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How much would it cost to have you make me one of those
Gosh, I never thought about that. Other than the hitch and pins, I used scrap stuff I had laying around. ????? I'm not sure what it would take....I'm sure I could do it faster the second time around.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Can't see any of the pics???????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can't see any of the pics???????

It must be on your end...all of the pics are up. Go to the next thread and I did a video of it as well.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've seen the video, I'll try the pics again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Would you mind sharing measurements and angles for you tire carrier. I see its made of mostly 2 inch square tube. It looks great and I would love to make one as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Would you consider making more if people wanted to buy them. If you would, I would be interested in buying one and I have a buddy that may as well and Im sure we aren't the only ones that would interested. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Gosh, I never thought about that. Other than the hitch and pins, I used scrap stuff I had laying around. ????? I'm not sure what it would take....I'm sure I could do it faster the second time around.
Would you be interested in posting a drawing with the dimensions and angles?
That would be fantastic!

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Would you be interested in posting a drawing with the dimensions and angles?
That would be fantastic!

Hi Folks...I'm not sure I can be of much help with this. When I built mine, I used materials that were laying around and really did very little measuring at all. I purchased the drop hitch and then simply held up a piece of 2" tubing at whatever angle so it cleared the back of the tailgate. Then, I added another vertical piece so it ended up at the center of the tailgate. Then, added a horizontal piece that was the depth of the inside of the tire/wheel plus 3/4 inch. The only measuring i did is when I added the pivot point. I pinned the piece to the angled riser and then tilted it down until the distance from the hitch was that of 1/2 the diameter of the tire (so it was level when down). This measurement will change with every different tire size. I did more of the...just hold it up and mark it, and then cut and weld it thing. I had a semi-end dump company (mostly hauling heavy rock) for 15 years and cutting/fabricating/welding stuff on the fly was the norm.

I know that isn't much help with this...Sorry!

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is clean!

Nice work.

Could you have gone with a thinner gauge structure?
I just used what i had laying around...and I would say "OVERKILL" is a good way to describe it. If i were to buy and build it again i would use lighter material for sure...maybe even smaller tubing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts