Viking Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,233 Posts
Could it be caused by all of the extra weight that I have put on it with my SAR equipment?
The Viking can carry 1000 lb and tow 1500, so if you've exceeded that then maybe.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Did you slug the wet clutch, that will help the wet clutch from going south. I think there is a video on Hunterworks site about that very thing about the sheave splines.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
How much weight are you talking about? Does it exceed the maximum weight limit for cargo? If it does then yes that could be part of the problem
The book says max bed load is 600 lbs. I estimate that I have a max of 280 lbs. in the bed during use. I am now suspecting my Hot Rod Sheave kit is the problem. I am not getting any replies from the vendor (JPS) so I will try this combination once more before I revert back to the stock sheaves. Secondary sheaves still on backorder from Yamaha Parts distributor.

·
Super Moderator
4,233 Posts
The book says max bed load is 600 lbs.
It's not so much what's in the bed it is total weight all up, including riders all the extras etc, which is 1000lb. But if you've only got 280 in the bed then you should be well under the 1000lb. Go to stock this time, don't risk it again!! Is there someone you know who can help you with the install to make sure that you've done it right, as in what Kurtw said?

·
Registered
119 Posts
X2...agree with cactus on going back to stock setup.

·
Registered
119 Posts
When I had my Kodiak 700 I had a machined sheave in it and loved it, many on the Kodiak forum and the Grizzly forums we’re using them with great results and reliability. But I don’t see them being very reliable in a SXS from every thing I have read on this forum and the Wolverine forum. Maybe it’s because of the weight difference of the SXS’s. And JBS doesn’t have a good reputation for quality or customer service. If I do anything to my CVT after warranty period it will be only shims and maybe weights and that’s it. I’m happy with the stock setup anyway.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a jbs also and have went back and fourth between their sheave and stock sheave with a shim. I have a tough time deciding which one to stick with. The jbs sheave is like having 2mm shim but also is much quieter when cruising with more mph. It’s a tough call which one to go with. I have to replace my wet clutch when the parts come this week, so I am also trying to decide if I should go back to stock. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well, since I have already bought the JBS Sheave AGAIN, I will try it one more time. I have the required manuals to put it together in a concise manner, and will follow all torque requirements to the tee. I just got word that my 60 day backorder of my secondary sheaves is on the way, finally. Wish me luck, but I am not totally convinced myself that this time it will work out.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well, since I have already bought the JBS Sheave AGAIN, I will try it one more time. I have the required manuals to put it together in a concise manner, and will follow all torque requirements to the tee. I just got word that my 60 day backorder of my secondary sheaves is on the way, finally. Wish me luck, but I am not totally convinced myself that this time it will work out.
I have a pcv and 14g weights that I would give you a good deal on if your interested.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts