Viking Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
Introducing myself as one more proud Viking owner from the great state of Texas. I live in rural Parker County, located about 30mins west of Fort Worth TX. This Viking is my first UTV, but I am no stranger to Yamaha or ATV's. I have been lurking in the shadows for a couple of weeks now after purchasing my Viking in late June. I just returned from a Colorado vacation where I took the Viking up to near 13k elev.:D While more HP would be great, the Viking performed like a champ. A big thanks to all the frequent posters to this forum, as I have already soaked up plenty of useful knowledge! Pics to come to soon.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Welcome from another Texan, glad to have you!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
welcome to the forum and congrats on the new viking

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome and grats!

·
Registered
14 Posts
welcome to the forum, I can not wait to go to Colorado with mine!! I am from Utopia tx but i got my viking from ft worth because of the deal i got. we went to taylor park last year in colorado and had a blast. we rented a polaris 500 crew and you almost had to get out and push it at 12000 feet but it was still fun. if you get a chance, tell more about were you went and how the viking did at altitude. did it hang on many rocks up there?? have a good one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone!

Pathfinder, I find it funny you came to Ft Worth to get a good deal... I ended up buying in Tennessee, felt like the local's were unwilling to work with me, so... road trip time! I have been to Colorado the last five years on various trips, mostly with rental Jeeps. This year was our 3rd return trip to Ouray/Silverton area. The scenery and history of the San Juan Mountain's are second to none in my mind. Our top elevation this trip was 12,640ft. With all three of is riding around and the bed full of supplies, I usually drove between 5-12mph in low range. It never felt like a race car, but when I pushed the pedal is kept on trudging along. My biggest compliant, that on a few of the low speed obstacles I would actually have to stop and let the clutches spool down into a lower ratio so I could crawl over the rocks vs. lugging the engine hard. After reading on this forum, with the bigger tires and wheels I should have probably changed the secondary spring and primary weights to compensate. As far as rocks and clearance, I had no issues. My Viking is currently sitting at 12 inches of clearance in the back and with careful tire placement, I don't remember even hitting a single rock.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Must be so nice to be able to ride in an area like that, WOW!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
thx for the reply Hill Jacked, what size tires do you have on it to cause that on the slow sections. Did you have enough power to have some fun on the faster parts of the trail? I got my viking at a powersports dealer off of the loop in fort worth for 11,600 with eps. good price but the dealer was not all that great. If you have not been to taylor park co. you may want to check it out. 100's of trails all leaving from one location with gas and eating and lodging. I would love to check out the alpine loop. good chatting with ya

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a set of 28x10x14 Maxis Bighorns on a set of STI's new HD5 matte black beadlocks. I really like the ride and traction you get from the original Bighorns. This trip to Colorado was pretty leisurely paced, so I did not get to stretch the Vikings legs much. I had a long run on a dirt road where I ran up to about 35mph for awhile at 10k in elevation. The Viking did everything I asked it too, but as most would agree... more power would be a good thing. I am familiar with the Yamaha dealer off the loop and glad they did you right on the price, I tried to deal with them once before and left unimpressed. I have been to Taylor Park twice and love how you can leave from one place. The Alpine loop area is great for sure, but you do have to keep logistics in mind as some area's are not ATV friendly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts