Viking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody else have any issues with the cv joints or diff popping? got 100 miles and 19.3 hrs on it. pops very loudly while turning or slightly while on and off the gas. 2014 Viking

·
Registered
129 Posts
That's a new one to me. No issues here. Curious to hear if anyone else is having this issue?

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
Mine's ok, it's not the tire lugs "flicking" as you turn?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
something in the back of my viking is banging pretty bad. sounds like the engine is gona fall off. it goes in the shop tuesday. doesnt do it when i turn but on and off the gas itll do it or when im going over big bumpy rocks. its getting so bad my buddy can hear it from inside his sxs. hopefully yamaha takes care of the problem

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
o and mine startd around 100 miles too

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no its not the tires, ive had quite a few bikes over the years, I had 0 problems out of my 700 sport edition. went out and rode it around some more tonight with two of my friends in it to see if we could get it to do it again while the others looked for the obvious but couldn't reproduce it. I know I get lots of noise rocking it with the parking brake on, idk if the parking disk hub had a key in it or if its splined but it has a small amount of slack in it and makes tons of noise while you rock it. also looks like the cvs at the diff have a small amount of slack in them looking at the axle v/s the spline hub when you jack it up and rotate the tires back and forth. im stumped, been working on bikes for years and cant figure this one out. if anybody finds something out at their dealer post it here if you don't mind, lol. thanks everybody

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Engine mounts? Or some kind of Mount for the driveline area.
We eyeballed that too, the fuel rail is close but can still get a finger in between it and the frame, its amazing how much the motor torques side to side while holding the brake and going fwd and reverse, lol.

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
Probably backlash in the diff? I lock the handbrake on on mine then crouch down behind it, grab the top of the tailgate and slightly rock the vehicle backwards and forwards. It's amazing how much twist and slop is in all the axles and joints.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Possibly, talked to the dealer today they want me to bring it in, said that they can probably get Yamaha to cover it even though its out of stock warranty because of the miles and hrs on it. guess itll go in next week for a check up.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Possibly, talked to the dealer today they want me to bring it in, said that they can probably get Yamaha to cover it even though its out of stock warranty because of the miles and hrs on it. guess itll go in next week for a check up.
Good luck! hopefully it works out

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
went out and investigated some more, found the brake caliper to be the possible culprit, looks like maybe im missing a clip that goes on the cable to the caliper as well, have to find it on a parts diagram to see if one is needed there or not. the caliper had plan in it and noise while moving it by hand same metal sound that resonates thru the frame and up to the bed. hard to find it on an all thin steel bike that carries sound like nobody's business, lol. going to ride it this weekend and see what happens lol

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hey check your air box under middle seat. Working on my snorkel today when I got off work and was about to remove the box and it clicks side to side. But if its loud and your buddies can hear it I dunno.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey check your air box under middle seat. Working on my snorkel today when I got off work and was about to remove the box and it clicks side to side. But if its loud and your buddies can hear it I dunno.
Thanks ill look at it as well, pretty much narrowed it down to the parking brake caliper slop. went out on a ride today and all went well.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
so i took my viking to dealer and the disk brake for the engine braking was loose and wobbling around. so hopefully thats all it was. hes doing the 200mi. service so he said he would go over everything to make sure its not something else

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
There's a disk brake for the engine breaking? Or does he mean the handbrake disc?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
i was just assuming thats wat it was

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
Ok cool, must be the handbrake disc come loose.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
well the mechanic at the yamaha shop called and said the parking brake disc wasnt loose. i guess watchin it move as he wiggled it when i dropped it off was all my imagination. now theyr saying its backlash and that its normal. im no mechanic but when the motor or rear diffs sound like theyr going to fall off the buggy isnt normal

·
Registered
298 Posts
Find out what spec are for backlash for diffs. Get dial and check. Does it only do it during take off and when letting up off the throttle?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts