Viking Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. First time poster from the Haliburton Highlands Ontario and a side-side novice.

Enjoying my Viking side-side just purchased in May this year. Perhaps too much. This past weekend I passed a raised felled log that just caught the side of the Viking. It caused a crack in the plastic siding around the gas tank.

Please refer to the picture to see what I am talking about.

I would like to patch this crack but I am unsure what product to use. What would you recommend as the best type of epoxy/glue to use. Would plumbing ABS cement work?

All suggestions on the required steps would also be appreciated.

I may just have the panel replaced in the fall if all solutions end up being temporary.

Thank you

Steven

Attachments

·
Registered
854 Posts
I wish i could help on this one but i'm not sure if some epoxy or glue will hold it long enough and if it would be a permanent solution.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Use a drill and some zip-ties to stitch it up Frankenstein fashion. Gives the machine character and works great.

Reactions: Hawkman

·
Registered
167 Posts
First, price the part online (Rocky mountain ATV is one good source) if you need to repair it JB weld would be my first try. Wash the area and then wipe with acetone or MEK. Figure out how to hold/clamp it together before you glue. Spread the crack and get the JB weld inside. After it dries you can cut, sand or grind it smooth. You can even drill some holes and stitch it with tie wraps while it dries, fill the holes later with JB. The stuff hardens pretty quick so be prepared.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've also seen people take zip ties the same color as the plastic and "weld" the crack up with a wood burning kit or a soldering iron. I would probably go with the replacement plastic if I could get it for $14.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
For 14 bucks, no need to glue it, etc. Just a new piece!!! Also try Yamaha parts house. They are a little cheaper than Rocky Mtn I think.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Devcon epoxy! But you will have to keep it in place while it cures. If you could sand the back side of the panel and keep it in place this crap will hold. Then if you got thin line on the outside you could lightly feel the crack. Then sand or try make look the same.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts