Viking Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy.
2016 Viking xps
We've had some issues with this thing while in a very dusty silty area and did a field replacement of the thermostat. We burped the system as described in the manual, raising the front by driving it up a pair of ramps onto a tundra tailgate, cracking open the water pump drain first then The thermostat housing drain, then topping up the radiator and the coolant tank. We run it up and down the street several times to get some heat in it, then let it sit and idle. After about 15-20 minutes, the red light comes on. Kill the motor and you can hear the system bubbling over into the coolant tank.
So far we’ve replaced the thermostat and the radiator cap, plus the coolant, running Yamaha branded premix coolant.
Should this thing be able to idle for 15-20 minutes without overheating?
After burping it, what’s the next diagnostic step? I see no steam in the exhaust nor whiteness in the coolant. Not any wetness around the water pump or any other part Outside the cooling system. I don’t have any reason to think I’ve blown a head gasket, but I suppose it’s possible. It’s also possible a small amount of dust got into the system but I wouldn’t think enough to cause an issue.
We’re the original owners, so nothing has been done previously.

·
Super Moderator
4,182 Posts
So I guess the first step is to ask why it overheated in the first place to the point of needing to replace the thermostat. Did you keep the old thermostat, if so test it to see if it was actually faulty. If it isn't then you know you have an issue somewhere else. A thermostat should go 10 years before needing replacing, although it's possible to fail early of course. Also if it's 4 years old without a coolant change, that could eat the head gasket.

Any bubbles in the coolant? You can cut the bottom off a soft drink bottle, turn it upside down, jam it in where the radiator cap goes, fill it with coolant, and run the engine to make it easier to see bubbles. I'm thinking head gasket, if it was another issue it would overheat in 5 minutes, and yes it should idle all day without overheating. Radiator isn't blocked, inside and out?

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Did miss something here, I don't see in your post that the fan was running, just checking. Mine was overheating but it was the crappy fan not coming on. If you run it down the road at 20 mph does it overheat, where you don't need the fan.
I would assume that the rad fins are not full of dirt, mud or ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was thinking fan too. Bleeding is a pain. Takes me more than one try. I put heater in and that might be my air trap problem. Those stock fans are not great

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Heater coolant hose might be a source of a air trap, we think the fan problems are caused by moisture getting in the motor down the vent tube line. When mine got replaced I re-routed the vent tube up above the air cleaner intake and pointed down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts