Viking Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Viking. The coolant reservoir is overfilling but not boiling out of the top. I didn’t run it long enough for the fan to kick on. I did replace the fan and have parked on a hill and bled it several times

·
Super Moderator
4,115 Posts
So it got hot? The fan failed?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’d bet money if you look in reservoir while it’s running you’ll see small bubbles. Compression leaking into the coolant....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fan quit about 3 weeks ago and I replaced it. I can drain some of the coolant out and it’s a little warm but not hot

·
Super Moderator
4,115 Posts
The coolant expands as the engine heats up. If it just got a little hot when the fan failed it should be ok, if it got very hot then as Blue Bull said....Start with the coolant on minimum in the bottle with a cold engine, what happens then? It may still have air in the system too.

Reactions: jennylee1123

·
Registered
3 Posts
Took me a while to bleed after a heater add on. The pump and thermostat both can trap air. Serious let took me several rides to shake it all out

·
Super Moderator
4,115 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even if there’s no leaks around the
You need a new head gasket.
Even if there’s no leaks around the head gasket? There’s no water in the oil. Temp light comes on after running for a few minutes even when the fans on. I can rev it up and the light goes off but then it comes right back on

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Even if there’s no leaks around the
You need a new head gasket.
Even if there’s no leaks around the head gasket? There’s no water in the oil. Temp light comes on after running for a few minutes even when the fans on. I can rev it up and the light goes off but then it comes right back on

·
Super Moderator
4,115 Posts
It's leaking compression from the engine into the coolant. When the piston comes up it has around 100 psi of pressure, the water only has 10 psi so the compression gets pushed into the water,causing bubbles. You won't see any leaking on the outside of the engine. You usually won't get water in the oil unless you keep driving it or it got really hot.

It still may not be bled properly. Get a mechanic to look at it, you can get the coolant tested for exhaust gases, this will prove it's a blown head gasket.

Reactions: jennylee1123

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so now I’ve replaced the thermostat. I’ve bled it about 10 times. The temp gauge will come on when it’s idling and the reservoir fills up with antifreeze. I have no clue what to do now. Any help appreciated

·
Super Moderator
4,115 Posts
Have you got someone to look at it? Is it still bubbling in the reservoir? You need to get the head gasket diagnosed and replaced before you do any further damage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts