Viking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm new to this board. I've been into offroading for years with full size rigs, utility quads, etc. I haven't had a side x side yet.

I was initially leaning towards a Viking due to having zero problems with my previous '09 Grizzly 700. I went to a local dealer last week and looked at several different models.

The Viking really vibrated a lot at idle which was a turn off---dash and steering wheel shook a lot, but it may get better when it's warmed up. The Vikings were inside the shop, so it wasn't running long. The Teryx 2 cylinder engine sounded a lot better than the Viking single.

A buddy of mine has a 2011 Teryx 750. He has about 2500 miles on it and has been very impressed with it. I've driven it a few times, and it still feels solid after all those miles--tight steering, nothing feels loose, etc.

I started researching 2014 Teryx's and on paper, it seems like you are getting a higher tech machine for less money than the Viking. There are currently two 2014 blue 2 seater Teryx's on ebay for a few bucks less than $10,000.

Was considering pulling the trigger on one of those. I'm in Ohio, and both are less than 300 miles away. The best my local dealer could do was $10,800.

The issue I have is all of the belt problems with the 2014 Kawasaki 800's. Just today I saw that there is going to be a recall issued. The price seems right, but something about buying a new machine and being concerned that it may break down at anytime just seems counter intuitive to me.

Opinions vary, but I'll throw mine out there. I think the Viking has a better looking nose. The Teryx seemed to have a nicer interior. I liked the large storage boxes in the rear of the T2. The Viking has more ground clearance with smaller tires, and they can fit larger tires with ease. The Kawasaki has a much better warranty, but I'd rather have something that does not need to be in the shop very often. I bought an extended warranty with my Grizzly back in 2009, and never had a single issue with it. The Kawasaki sounds better and has more power, although one of the salesman said that he was not impressed with the Kawi's performance. The dealer sells Yamaha, Kawi, Polaris, and Can Am. The salesman said that if you lined up a Viking and Teryx 800, the Viking would out accelerate it. On paper, the Kawi has about 10 more horsepower, so that is kinda questionable.

He tried pushing Polaris. I said that I did not trust their quality. He said that you see them broken down more because they sell 9 of those to every Yamaha or Kawi. I'm just not really interested in a Polaris. Can Am's look cool, and have great power, but I'm not a fan of the visco lock front. I like to be able to crawl over obstacles, not have to wait for wheel spin to get locking 4x4, etc.

Most of my riding would be fairly low speed technical trails.

Thoughts? Advice? Any info from someone who has driven/ridden in a 2014 Teryx and a Viking would be great.

Thanks,
Roy

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Not sure if you've read it, but there's a thread on here about this very thing, Viking vs. Teryx. We love our Viking, sure the Kawi sounds better, and has a little more power, thats because its got a Vtwin motor, so does my Can-am Outlander 800, it has a 71hp V-twin, and it sounds amazing. The Viking vibrates because of the single cylinder motor, but after awhile its better, and you dont notice it much. Have had no problems.

STAY AWAY FROM POLARIS!! that's always my advice, since i tried one.

http://www.vikingforum.org/forum/ya...tion/730-yamaha-viking-vs-kawasaki-teryx.html

·
Registered
312 Posts
I owned a BF 750 and replaced (4) belts of the span of 7 years. I am not a mud bogger and changed fluids every 250 miles. I agree that the power of the V-twin is very impressive. However, I would caution you to weigh ( 2) facts. First, you know the Yamaha will provide years of service and durability and was the initial platform all UTV's generated from. Secondly, the Kawasaki has extended their warranty for a reason and the CVT they have isn't proven worthy of any longevity. I believe the motor over power's the rest of the machine's parts capability's.

Below is from Kawieriders

KDIXER
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by flht3
the current 750 engine is 10 years old...its time to drop some hp in the teryx!

Because.....the 750 is under powered? I would rather have stronger diffs, CV shafts and driveline components before I threw more power into the mix. But that would add weight and require a bigger engine. So chasing power is like chasing your tail. You have to beef up all the driveline components to handle the increased power. But now you need even more power to handle the weight you added. Where will it end?

The main reason I purchased the Viking wasn't for speed but for work and reliability....JMO

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I always have had Yamaha, not one of them has EVER let me down, tried 1 Polaris, and thats all it did, and i'll never own another one of there products, only reason i got it, was i was in the market for a SxS, and the Rhino wasn't big enough. So when I read about the Viking coming out, I put the Polaris up for sale, and sold it quickly, and put money down on the First Viking my dealer recieved. I didnt care what motor it had in it. but either way, it was bigger than my Polaris 500. Regardless, i knew what i'd be getting in a Yamaha, and couldn't wait to get back in a Yamaha.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've had my Viking for about 3 months and its a great SxS. The vibration at idle is a non issue. Once you start moving it goes away. The single cylinder motor makes great low and midrange power. It will do 50 mph and for a big utility unit its plenty fast. The 3 wide seating is awesome! I'm a big guy and it's so comfortable to ride in with 3 adults even. The Viking has typical Yamaha Quality, top notch! I'm on a trail ride now with my wife and daughter and the ride is smooth and handles good for a big utility SxS. For work the viking is great. Has done everything I have asked it to do with not a hiccup. My only complaint is the squeaky brake pads. Once some aftermarket ones come out I will change these out. I had a few compliments already on the trail today. I got a eps model and it works great! No fatigue at all. I've never ridden a kawasaki but the Viking rates high in my book for a all around SxS. Also I'm not brand loyal. If it something fits my needs I buy it. Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think the Viking is going to have great reliability, but the 2014 Teryx will be a sportier machine with the fox shocks, v twin, and bucket seats. I was really torn between these two, I love my viking for work, trail riding and rock crawling but I'm still not sure if the kawi would be a better fit for me! Fast trail riding and sand dunes would favor the teryx for sure. Reliability and the center third seat sold me on a Viking.

Best of luck
Mark

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I've pretty much ruled out the Teryx. One other model has caught my interest, and it's in a completely different category. The Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail--the 50" version. I went to a dealer and sat in one, and also watched several videos of them on Youtube. I know I don't want a Polaris, and actually did not know the Wildcat Trail existed until last week. I thought Polaris still had the 50" market to themselves. The Wildcat Trail has a 700 cc engine, 62 HP, 990 lbs, real locking diff setup like Yamaha's, etc. Like the Viking, you can also run up to 30" tires on them stock. I could get the top of the line XT model for about $11,700.

I also took a Viking for a quick spin at another dealer. They had green, blue, and black in stock. If I get a Viking, I'd want red or blue. Most likely red. I was quoted about $12,000 for a Viking with EPS, but I have found them about $500 cheaper in PA and Indiana.

Kinda torn between the sportiness of the Wildcat Trail and the beefiness of the Viking. My gut tells me the Wildcat would be more fun, but if it breaks down, I'd be kicking myself for not sticking with a Yamaha. The Viking is obviously a more substantial machine as it weighs about 500 lbs more.

Still trying to figure it out.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
[B said:
Kinda torn between the sportiness of the Wildcat Trail and the beefiness of the Viking.[/B]

Still trying to figure it out.

You hit the nail on the head...."Apples and Oranges!"

·
Registered
107 Posts
The vibration at idle has almost completely gone away on mine.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
x2, i dont even notice it anymore really.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Arctic Cat to me seems to use cheap metals there's one of the dealer with the broken shift bracket brand new not the steak for the actual bracket that holds a stick that tells me that it's low quality metals using the machine. Reliability over everything and leg room with the viking

·
Registered
344 Posts
mine performs better than most vehicles in the mud on the trails in my opinion

·
Registered
46 Posts
When Artic cat starts making parts for their OWN machines, I might actually consider them again. I have had multiple AC quads and every time, I have to go to another manufacturers parts to fix the machines. I have an 02 that has a Suzuki engine and a MXU transmission in it..... figuring out parts for the thing takes twice as long as it should when something breaks.

Stick with Yamaha, their solid reliability is worth every penny.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Arctic cat makes there own parts. Now they use there own engines. Were using kymco. There small quads are kymcos. The new engine in the wildcat trail is a kymco and AC design

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ruled out the Arctic Cat a while back. I was still interested in the Teryx 800 T2 though.

On Friday I went to the local dealer and wanted to drive the two rigs back to back. Blue 2014 Teryx 800 T2 and a blue EPS Viking. I drove the Teryx first. The seat was comfortable, engine sounded good, very smooth. I stomped on it a couple times in low range and high range. It accelerated quickly, and sounded good doing it. It was a cool ride. I hit a few large potholes on purpose to see how the Fox shocks handled them.

I drove the Viking next. I was kinda surprised that the seat height seemed lower in the Viking since it is less sporty than the Teryx. I read somewhere that someone described the Viking's engine idle sound as that of "a wet fart" and laughed. It isn't too far off base.
I stomped on it a couple times in high and low range. In low range, it felt like it had more "instant power" than the Kawasaki. I was kinda surprised at that. I hit the same potholes with the Yamaha. It did not seem any rougher than the Kawi with the better shocks.

I had been negotiating with the dealer over prices before I test drove them. He said $10,800 for the Teryx and $11,200 for the Viking. This was after much back and forth between us. I said I wanted to drive the Teryx again. I did.

I said I'd pay $10,600 for the Teryx. After 10 minutes the dealer said he could do that. I said that I wanted to go back outside and look at them again. They were parked close to each other in the lot. I liked the center console and shifter in the Kawi better than the Viking. I checked out the suspension pieces on both. The Kawasaki looked to have a little bigger control arms, etc. The skid plate looks quite a bit better on the Yamaha. The exposed plastic floorboards of the Kawi were a turn-off, but I knew about this from reading posts of broken floorboards. I knew I'd be spending $350 to remedy this with steel panels that I've read about on this site. The seats look cooler in the Kawi. I liked the center console shifter better in the Kawi. I liked the seating position and legroom in the Yamaha better. The Kawi made me kinda feel like I was driving/looking out of a van. I liked the storage compartments on the Teryx. I liked the engine placement and ease of access (rear, under the bed) better on the Yamaha.

After much debate, it came down to a few things. I thought the Kawasaki was "cooler" looking, but I thought the Viking looked meaner in the front. I've seen pictures of Vikings with large tires, and they have the "all business look" that I dig. When looking at them from the side, it looks like the Viking will keep it's appearance better over time due to less colored plastic. I think the Teryx looks better from the side new, but after a few trail rides, I'm guessing it will show more scratches/scrapes. The transmission of the Yamaha seems like it wastes less power than the Kawi. I know that it has less power...roughly 49 HP for the Viking vs. 58 for the Teryx, but off idle (and even at WOT in low range) it felt stronger to me. I'm talking about 0-25 mph or so. Most of my riding will be relatively low speed stuff.

Normally when I buy something, it is a very clear & concise decision. IE: When I bought my Grizzly 700 in 2009, I knew for sure that was the quad I wanted. On these two UTV's, I kept going back and forth over the pros and cons. In the end, I went with my gut and bought the Viking for $11,400 with the added roof. They delivered it today.

Thanks for all of the input guys, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sounds like you really put a lot of thought into your purchase. I agree with you that the Viking with a set of bigger rims and tires looks Bad Ass! The more I ride my Viking the more I like it. The only complaint is squeaky brakes, other than that it Rocks! Congrates on your purchase and welcome to the club!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The squeaky brakes went away on mine at around 400 miles

Reactions: 78Buford

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Awesome news, glad to hear it!! Congrads.

Yeah, nothing beats the sound of a V-twin motor, love the sound and performance of my Can-am 800 with the 71hp Rotax V-twin. The Viking sound, not so much, lol, but since i put the silencer on, its not as bad, kinda tamed the fart.

Like said above, my only complaint is the squeaky brakes, i think i have about 450 miles on mine, give or take, and they still squeak..Its hard to believe that Yamaha sells them with brakes like this. I test drove a new Tactical Black 2013 Rhino last year, and its brakes did the same thing. Talked to the Tech at the dealer, he said bout the only fix was to by the cheapest, softest brake pads you could get, and it wouldn't do it.

Reactions: 78Buford

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
congrats 78buford. im sure you will enjoy the viking for years to come

1 - 20 of 26 Posts