·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if the following have been sorted -

1. middle gear issue in transmission
2. Noise level

Are there any other common issues?

I like the idea of the 3 seater so also considering the Defender HD5 or HD8. I’m looking to get the best bang for the buck so looking at base models. Not looking to spend more than about $15k.

The HD8 is very quiet apparently, but not sure about the HD5. I have an older Teryx 750 and it’s loud in the cab. Being able to talk to passengers would be nice.

The Viking seems to offer more for the money. The base model in Canada comes with power steering, locker, roof, and full metal skid plate. I assume the Yamaha would also be more reliable.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Wondering if the following have been sorted -

1. middle gear issue in transmission
2. Noise level

Are there any other common issues?

I like the idea of the 3 seater so also considering the Defender HD5 or HD8. I’m looking to get the best bang for the buck so looking at base models. Not looking to spend more than about $15k.

The HD8 is very quiet apparently, but not sure about the HD5. I have an older Teryx 750 and it’s loud in the cab. Being able to talk to passengers would be nice.

The Viking seems to offer more for the money. The base model in Canada comes with power steering, locker, roof, and full metal skid plate. I assume the Yamaha would also be more reliable.

Thanks for any input.
the vikings are loud above 20 mph,the new twin wolverine is very quiet compared to the viking,i nhave 11000 miles and 1800 hours on my viking so reliability not an issue ,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m below 20 most of the time so not really an issue. Great to hear about the reliability.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
I never used the center seat except for replacing it with a center console. I'd definitely look at the wolverine this time.

Sent from my SM-F707U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,238 Posts
I on the other hand find the centre seat invaluable, whether it's carting two workers around or taking a guy and his chick for a run at parties etc, my son can take two of his mates for a run instead of putting one in the back risking injury, and it just makes for a very roomy cab in general. It's also handy for taking a future wife for a ride as she can sit up close to you.... Probably the best part about three seats is the motor has to be moved back making it very easy to service/work on, instead of being covered over in the middle where it's impossible to get at.

As TC said the Vikings are noisy, you have to back off the power and let the speed drop to be heard, reliability is excellent, reasonable power, reasonable clearance which can be improved with lift kits etc and with purpose tires can be made to go nearly anywhere. Wading depth is good, diffs etc are factory snorkeled and you can raise the CVT snorkels up even higher if you want greater wading depth.

Reactions: Ironhide.au

·
Registered
135 Posts
Air intake is under the hood above the battery almost as high as the top of the dash. Belt intake is just below the bottom of the bed.

Reactions: cactus

·
Registered
135 Posts
There are aftermarket mufflers you can add to the stock muffler where you end up with 2 mufflers to quiet it down considerably.

·
Registered
135 Posts
There are aftermarket mufflers you can add to the stock muffler where you end up with 2 mufflers to quiet it down considerably.
Silent Rider & Kolpin are 2 that I’m aware of

·
Registered
352 Posts
I on the other hand find the centre seat invaluable, whether it's carting two workers around or taking a guy and his chick for a run at parties etc, my son can take two of his mates for a run instead of putting one in the back risking injury, and it just makes for a very roomy cab in general. It's also handy for taking a future wife for a ride as she can sit up close to you.... Probably the best part about three seats is the motor has to be moved back making it very easy to service/work on, instead of being covered over in the middle where it's impossible to get at.

As TC said the Vikings are noisy, you have to back off the power and let the speed drop to be heard, reliability is excellent, reasonable power, reasonable clearance which can be improved with lift kits etc and with purpose tires can be made to go nearly anywhere. Wading depth is good, diffs etc are factory snorkeled and you can raise the CVT snorkels up even higher if you want greater wading depth.
that's one thing i noticed with the new wolverine the engine is more forward making it harder to access,i'm also told they no longer use axle seals in the hubs..

·
Super Moderator
4,238 Posts
And, what is this middle gear issue that you speak of, seriously ?????
The middle gear inside the bottom of the engine/transmission has been failing on quite a few Vikings. You wouldn't say it's common but it's happening more than it should be. When it fails it's disastrous.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The middle gear inside the bottom of the engine/transmission has been failing on quite a few Vikings. You wouldn't say it's common but it's happening more than it should be. When it fails it's disastrous.
I recall it being an issue with the Grizzly as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts