Viking Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about chopping the cage down on my VI so it will fit in the garage without having to deflate the tires. My problem is I don't have a welder (or know how to weld worth a crap). I've done a search but can't quite find the answer's I'm looking for.

To the guys that have way more fabrication experience than me (which is anyone)....

Is it possible to cut down the bottom of the back pillars say 3''-4'', roll everything down/back on the front connection, trim the middle pillars as needed, & bolt everything back together at the original connection points? This would avoid having to make a cut somewhere in the middle. My gut tells me the middle pillar is going to be quite away's off after the dropping the back end without removing a piece from another area.

I just looked at a post from LMAK & he mentioned pulling the pillars back in place with a couple of ratchet straps.
TÝR Vi build

Anyway...any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
If you are that close, are you hitting the garage door frame header or the bottom of the garage door? If door, can you make it go up higher? That would be easier than chopping.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are that close, are you hitting the garage door frame header or the bottom of the garage door? If door, can you make it go up higher? That would be easier than chopping.

I need about 3 1/2'' to get the buggy in the garage....that's roof to bottom of frame header.

After looking at everything a little more closely, this project looks a giant PIA. It'll be 10x easier to just deflate the tires to dam-near flat to get the machine in there.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Can you move the header up?

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I've done metal/steel fabrication all my life, not sure how a VI's cage is setup but I took a good look at my EPS and there is a lot of points that would need to be modified, my front mount is two bolts per side so it would have to be cut and re-welded all the head rest tubes would have to be cut and re-welded. This would not be a easy mod to do. Probably raising the garage door would be easier and safer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've done metal/steel fabrication all my life, not sure how a VI's cage is setup but I took a good look at my EPS and there is a lot of points that would need to be modified, my front mount is two bolts per side so it would have to be cut and re-welded all the head rest tubes would have to be cut and re-welded. This would not be a easy mod to do. Probably raising the garage door would be easier and safer.
I agree. I've pretty much talked myself out of this whole idea. It's way beyond my skill set.

Might be even easier to just throw on some smaller tires, deflate those down & roll 'er on in.

I appreciate the input fellas.

·
Super Moderator
4,182 Posts
Get the chop! Your wife will love you for it! Seriously, stuff letting the tires down to get in the garage. There were a lot of chops done on here years ago, do a search see what you can find, if you can't let me know I'll have a look.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Just go in the search and type "chop roll cage". and you will find out that this is not a easy job for someone without the equipment to do and end up with a safe machine when done. I would not want to be your lawyer if after cutting up your roll cage and somebody got really hurt when it rolled over. The lawsuit would not be pretty.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've done quite a little research since my OP. There's no way I'm doing something like this on my own. I don't have the tools to pull this off. I'd have to take it to welding shop to have it done the right way, which might happen down the road at some point but I've got other things I want to do to the machine that are higher priority.

I appreciate everyone's input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts