Viking Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Viking EPS
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a huge fan of the Yamaha Fold Down windshield because it's either closed or totally open - it came on my used Viking. I had a SuperATV flip on my last machine and it was fantastic because you could vent it on warm days and still have protection. A riding buddy gave me a half windshield that he took off his Viking and I love it for most of my Summer riding. I have the Yamaha soft rear panel for my soft cab and that really cuts down on airflow but helps quite a bit with dust (especially with the half windshield due to the increased cabin air pressure. I recently rode with a friend that used a screen on the back of his RMax and he loved it - very good ventilation and dust intrusion was next to nothing. Since no one makes one for the Viking, I decided to modify a sun shade for a Jeep. 90% of my time in the Viking is using it around our property at slow speeds but it's been extremely dusty and hot this summer. Most of the Jeep sun shades are not wide enough to go across the back of the Viking cage. I stumbled upon one for a Jeep Wrangler YJ or TJ that fits very well with minimal modification. I trimmed it along the bottom edge and used the ball bungees to attach it. I added a few grommets from cheap Harbor Freight tarp repair kit (that I had on hand) was all it took to make it fit right. So far, I'm extremely pleased with the results. I need to put a little protection on the cage behind the middle seat so I don't end up with holes but it truly does an amazing job keeping out the dust and the air flow is almost as good as running without a back panel. It cost me $43, a few grommets, and a little time. It's getting chilly here in MN now so I need to get my soft cab ready to go back on. Just thought I'd share it with you guys.

Hood Automotive tire Grille Vehicle Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Tire Wheel

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Mode of transport

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,368 Posts
Nice idea.

Reactions: MNDirtRider

·
Super Moderator
5,053 Posts
Well done, that's amazing. And I never would have thought that a screen would keep dust out!

Reactions: MNDirtRider
1 - 3 of 3 Posts