Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced theirs brakes yet? The OEM are about $45 each set, $200 total, ouch. That doesn't include parking brake. I have searched but can't find aftermarket or does anyone know if they are available cheaper? I ride in wet, swampy, muddy conditions and they don't last long.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I am going to as soon as I see an aftermarket listing for them. I have had enough of the squeaking of the factory ones.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I am going to as soon as I see an aftermarket listing for them. I have had enough of the squeaking of the factory ones.
sometimes the squeaking is just the nature of the aggressive brake compound.

have you ever tried to grease the back of the pad like crazy with anti squeel?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yamaha quads and side by sides are know to have hard brake pad materials. My local dealer also recommends aftermarket to reduce the brake squeak. This would have been my number one compliant with my Rhino over the 8 years.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have coated the pads and the still squeak, so it is the pad material and not a vibration issue.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
its for sure the pad, i talked to the tech at the dealer awhile ago about it, and he said it was the pads, he said go with the cheapest softest pads you could get, and that it wouldn't do it anymore.

They do the same exact thing on the Rhino's. I seen on the Rhino forum changed to the EBC pads, and it fixed there squeaking issues. Like i said before, i test drove a new Rhino before putting money down on the Viking, and the brakes squeaked on it too.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have about 450 miles on mine now. I tried to ride the brakes a little at about 15-20mph every time a rode it for several weeks and the squeaking is 90% better. I still hear it a little when turning, but overall MUCH better than when I got it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have yet to experience squeaking from my brakes. I ride on dry dusty trails and gravel/dirt fire roads. Just wondering if Yamaha heard everyones complaints and silently made a change not taking ownership of their screw up.

·
Super Moderator
4,429 Posts
I have yet to experience squeaking from my brakes. I ride on dry dusty trails and gravel/dirt fire roads. Just wondering if Yamaha heard everyones complaints and silently made a change not taking ownership of their screw up.
Mine don't really squeak either, just a little bit every now and then. I was wondering the same.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Has anyone replaced their brake pads yet? I'm not talking about for noise but pads worn down. I'm ready for my 3rd set and $200 is killing me.

·
Super Moderator
4,429 Posts
What! 3rd set already? I think my handbrake pads are gone, I'm out of adjustment. No one making after market pads yet I suppose, $200 a set, phew.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Mine wasn't the brakes it was the rubber seal behind the hub. Pushed the axle back a little put some grease in the seal fixed.
Can you post a pic?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have 2,000 miles and still have the original. There are aftermarket pads available for the Viking.

I ride in the swamp, a lot of water and a lot of mud. I hardly use the brakes mostly engine brake. Every time I inspect, I take the slides apart and clean them and grease them. Do you have a part number or vendor name and number that has aftermarket pads?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts