Viking Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went Caribou hunting last weekend anf never used 4x4 or difflock until that weekend. When I switched to or from diff lock and the light is flashing red it bogs and has some hesitation when you give it gas. Anyone else have that issue?

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
It's normal, the engine is rev limited to a couple of mile an hour until the diff lock fully engages or disengages, which can take ages sometimes! It helps the diff lock engage quicker if you go backwards and forwards and wiggle the wheels a bit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did what you mentioned and it indeed speed up the process. On the fly though it wasn't the best idea especially right when im heading towards the marsh haha. For a second I thought I had messed something up.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
I did what you mentioned and it indeed speed up the process. On the fly though it wasn't the best idea especially right when im heading towards the marsh haha. For a second I thought I had messed something up.
Uummm your not trying to shift in or out of anything on the fly are you? Thats a no no

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No not shift from high to low or neutral on the fly. Only changing the 4wd to diff lock while I was moving.

What I did was back up a little then stop. The go forward and the difflock seemed to engage faster.

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
I think you can shift in and out of 4 wheel drive on the fly, but not diff lock. Is that not right??
That's true. You can't change gears either unless stopped. You can engage diff lock while crawling, you don't need to be completely stopped.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Went Caribou hunting last weekend anf never used 4x4 or difflock until that weekend. When I switched to or from diff lock and the light is flashing red it bogs and has some hesitation when you give it gas. Anyone else have that issue?
Like others have said it is normal. I have experienced the same as you. Shifting into 4wd has been unremarkable, however after stopping, shifting into diff lock it takes about one minute for it to indicate locked on the instrument panel. When shifting into diff lock the lock time is closer to 30 seconds when placing into low gear or reverse and moving slow in either gear. Hope this improves as all the mechanical parts have a time to wear in some.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I usually engage diff lock stopped or at a crawl. If it doesn't fully engage right away I usually just turn the wheels back and forth while crawling and it will fully engage.

I would suggest not trying to engage diff lock once you are already in deep, thick, nasty mud. If it doesn't fully engage then you will be limited on engine output. If your already in the nasty stuff limited slip 4x4 is better than being stuck in limited slip 4x4 with a rev limiter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts