Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I blew out the belt on my viking at which point it got so hot it melted the inner crank case. I have since gone out of town for work and haven't had a chance to open up the clutch. I'm quite positive my wet clutch is cooked. What options do I have to prevent this in the future? I'm running 28 inch roctanes

·
Registered
137 Posts
Replace everything, buy the Hunterworks stuff: and or only run in "Low range" unless the trail is smooth. 28" tires is just on the outside of "High range" IMO.

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
How'd it happen Schatz, more info please.

I only ever use low unless I'm going on a high speed run.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm always in low range. Only high range on flat road this is why I am so confused as to what happened.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I run in high range on fire/gravel roads, as soon as it gets steep I put her in low range. If I am rock crawling always low range. If pulling large loads, i.e. skidding a 1500 lb log, again only low range. Once you get that belt/clutch hot trouble right around the corner. Let us know what you find....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got 27" mudlite xtr on factory clutch my dealer says I'll be fine but should I be concerned or put a clutch kit in so this doesn't happen to me? He also says to run in high even in mud?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Don't run in high unless your on flat ground or kinda up and down. Just my .02
I got 28's I run high just to get somewhere without stressing the engine/trans out. Common sense should kick in and say don't do this"Hey I'm bogging down, that's cool I'm going to push it to the floor now in high" ;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Im surprised to hear of so many that run in low all the time. I get using low for the steep n deep or towing/hauling. Its cheaper to replace a clutch than replace an engine early from the revs constantly screaming. Just my 2 pennies.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My low is only under 10mph for me. Also what tire size do you got nytroboy? I just putt along not into anything faster than 20mph. I do run it up time to times just cause. Lol

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have always ran mine in high if its a boring run and in low it it looks like fun!!

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
I've got 27" mudlite xtr on factory clutch my dealer says I'll be fine but should I be concerned or put a clutch kit in so this doesn't happen to me? He also says to run in high even in mud?
Sounds to me like your dealer wants you to tear up your ride so he can get all the money you would have to pay him for all the repairs your gonna have by doing that

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
Im surprised to hear of so many that run in low all the time. I get using low for the steep n deep or towing/hauling. Its cheaper to replace a clutch than replace an engine early from the revs constantly screaming. Just my 2 pennies.
If your engine is constantly screaming you should be in high, all other driving should be in low.

Reactions: WhiteWind

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I highly recommend anyone with 27 + tires clutch their units. I will be slugging the viking and getting the sheave for it

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I opened everything up and it showed next to no wear on my clutch shoes. I fitted it with some new slugs. My primary fixed sheave was missing some teeth so that is getting replaced along with a hunterworks machined sheave. I am still baffled that my belt blew out this early and how hot it got when it happened. It melted my inner clutch cover which has been on backorder for 2 monthes and I haven't been able to ride, very frustrated with yamaha at this point

·
Registered
464 Posts
Schatz you could have saved some money man I have a hunterworks sheave for sale right with weights and everything for a lot cheaper then a new one is

·
Registered
464 Posts
Need more bottom end with my 30's it would be perfect for someone with 27-28's tho

·
Registered
63 Posts
smoked

So I opened everything up and it showed next to no wear on my clutch shoes. I fitted it with some new slugs. My primary fixed sheave was missing some teeth so that is getting replaced along with a hunterworks machined sheave. I am still baffled that my belt blew out this early and how hot it got when it happened. It melted my inner clutch cover which has been on backorder for 2 monthes and I haven't been able to ride, very frustrated with yamaha at this point
So........tell us how it happened. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts