Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started off with a piece of thin rubber that has a diamond plate pattern on it. It was a 4x4 piece so it came short on the sides by about 2" on each side. Due to the poor fit it slid around a little and crud filled gaps.

Upgraded tonight to a factory yamaha mat or so I though I upgraded. Problem is this dang thing weighs like 40 lbs. It would be great if you haul a lot of bricks or other things that may damage the bed but for everyday use it's way to heavy and thick. Another problem is that it has tread on it like a snowmobile track so it's going to be a pita to wash. Last problem is it doesn't fit much better than my scrap piece. It fails to reach the bedsides by about 1" on each side so crap is going to fill the gap.

Would I buy it again? Nope it's way to heavy. Probably end up getting a larger piece of the diamond plate rubber and cut it to exact dimensions. I suppose if I didn't already have so many pounds worth of gear the extra 40 lbs may not be such a big deal.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I used a floor mat from Home Depot. The size was 60"x36" of which I trimmed of about 2" for a snug fit. The price was around $20. It works out ok:)

·
Registered
209 Posts
i went to tractor supply and got a horse mat 6-4 cut to fit my bed ,it will hold a 1500lbs horse, used the rest for my floor,works looks very good 42.95 tax :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
I also used a horse stall mat, heavy but protects the bed really well.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I used a Cabela's UTV bed mat, that I had used in my Ranger, fits fine enough.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have horse stall mat in my pickup and like the Yamaha mat it's way heavier than I want.

·
Super Moderator
4,429 Posts
Yeah I have the Yammy mat and love it, it's perfect for what I do and fits well. I can tip the bed and the mat won't come out.

Reactions: oldCop

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Mine does fall out when i dump the bed, so if the Yamaha one doesn't, that would be Great.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What do you want the mat for? It seems to me that the reasons to have a mat is to protect the box from damage when hauling stuff and to also prevent said stuff from sliding around. Thick , heavy and treaded is what I would expect it to be.

Yes I wanted to protect the bed from damage but not by adding 40 lbs. If I was hauling bricks it would be great but for everyday use the extra weight is overkill. Light tread to keep things from sliding around is great but this thing has huge lugs that are overkill and a pain to wash. Just seems heavier than necessary.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can tip the bed and the mat won't come out.
Does what you are dumping fall out? Seems to me that the huge lugs are going to make any material hang on rather than sliding out.

·
Super Moderator
4,429 Posts
Does what you are dumping fall out?
Yes, but if I was hauling dirt it wouldn't be a clean empty (I would take the liner out for that), firewood is ok so I guess it depends what you are going to cart. I have tools in the bed a lot so the big lugs stop them from sliding around and I can put screws and even empty pistol shells in the back and they don't roll around at all.

Reactions: oldCop

·
Registered
9 Posts
My only concern would be moisture getting under it and causing rust. Had a bed liner in a pick-up do that. Personally, I like the spray-on Rhino-liner. Spendy, but durable, and won't trap moisture underneath.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
My only concern would be moisture getting under it and causing rust. Had a bed liner in a pick-up do that. Personally, I like the spray-on Rhino-liner. Spendy, but durable, and won't trap moisture underneath.
Why not both?? I've got a spray in liner, and a Cabelas UTV bed mat i had in my 2010 Ranger.

·
Super Moderator
4,429 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
I cut a bed liner to shape from a older truck bed liner. Fits tight and does not come out when dumping a load of whatever. At some point I am going to spray in my own liner to keep the thin metal bed material from forming rust under the bed liner. Mine weighs 24 lbs....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts