Viking Forum banner

Battery question

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Sport4x4 
#1 ·
I have A 2019 Viking and curious if I should change the battery in advance of it going out during a trip in Mexico. A friends Polaris battery went out this weekend without advance warning so we had to push it on the trailer. How long do the oem batteries last? Does anyone know if these stats on the dashboard look good? Thankyou in advance-
Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi M&J, no you're stats on the dashboard don't look good at all, 0 MPH, low fuel, low miles, you obviously need to try harder🤣🤣🤣 Seriously though, you have 14.1 volts with the engine running, which won't give you any indication of battery condition. Park the Viking overnight and in the morning turn the key to start and then tell us what the volts are.

A couple of things, if a lead acid start battery is charged regularly it will last about four years.

If the battery is good it should read around 12.4 volts when you turn the key on, if that reads lower then the battery is probably fading, any reading at 12v or under the battery is flat or dead.

Usually a battery will let you know that it's on the way out by cranking slowly, occasionally they drop a cell and just die out of the blue

#3 ·
Thanks cactus on the info, I figured a three year old battery is going to start fading and don’t want an issue in Mexico in a few months. I won’t be at my cabin ( where my Viking is)until next week so will see what the #’s are then. I had looked in the manual and it did not discuss battery readings. I see Walmart has some $50 batteries that fit the Viking so may pick one up just in case

#4 ·
I would definitely do that for 50 bucks. and make sure somebody has a jump pack if you’re gonna be way in the back country.

Reactions: cactus and M&j
#6 ·
It is amazing how some batteries last real long and some don’t. This past spring I replaced my 18 year old trolling motor battery in my boat that finally died.
I had a battery in my old truck last 9 years and I have had some that only lasted 4 years but most have lasted me 5-7 years.
We have a 2015 truck that still has original battery in it and going strong. (Knock on wood)

Reactions: M&j
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.