Viking Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been snow plowing quite a bit the last few days and I have a intermittent issue with my winch pulling in to raise the plow. This really started last winter when plowing.
sometimes when I push the switch for “in” nothing happens and I push it repeatedly and nothing happens until I push the rocker switch to “out” a few times then “in” and all is fine again. Happens usually twice during an hour of plowing. I’m thinking it’s either the rocker switch or the solenoid. Was wondering what the group here would try first? Or could it be something else I haven’t thought of?

· Super Moderator
5,195 Posts
Next time it's not working pop the switch out and bridge it or the solenoid, if it works it's the switch. It's most likely the switch as I don't think they are very well made. Are you running through a relay?

· Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I assumed I am running through a solenoid but it’s been 2 years since I installed it so I guess I should dig the instructions out and double check that.

· Super Moderator
5,195 Posts

· Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

· Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok no solenoid just the contactor. I will probably order a new rocker switch to keep on hand.

· Registered
115 Posts
Just now reading this but has your problem been fixed in the areas that were previously discussed? Only other slight possibility could be is your winch is either getting weak or it’s freezing up. You said it won’t reel in but will out then it’ll reel in after reeling out. So less resistance on the winch going out so it spins. Add the weight of of the plow and weight of the snow that might be hung on the plow and the added moisture on the winch just a wild guess that it could be freezing up.

· Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just now reading this but has your problem been fixed in the areas that were previously discussed? Only other slight possibility could be is your winch is either getting weak or it’s freezing up. You said it won’t reel in but will out then it’ll reel in after reeling out. So less resistance on the winch going out so it spins. Add the weight of of the plow and weight of the snow that might be hung on the plow and the added moisture on the winch just a wild guess that it could be freezing up.
Thanks, I would agree except when this happens all I get is a click sound and there is no weight on the winch strap because I always lower the plow to the ground until there is slack in the line. Which still makes me think it’s the switch. I haven’t had a chance to get a new one yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts