Viking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinkin about possibly gettin rid of the viking for maybe a commander or something with a little better ride.. Anybody else thinkin of changing up?

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Love my Can-am 800 atv, and love to have a Commander 1000!!, but i wouldn't get rid of my Viking, for me and the family ih aul around, it does great. Dont blame ya though, i would imagine, and the commander, depending on what model you get, id got XTP, btw. Get the real good Fox shocks, beadlocks, etc with that package.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Commanders are extremely hot in cab

Reactions: kasja55

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The viking just rides so dam rough and the rocky land I ride on. I think with it being as new as it is and with a brand new plow rig with all my extras my difference wouldn't be terrible

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I think you'd like the Can-am alot honestly. You just wont have but 2 seats, and a little bed.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
From what i've read, even the 2014 Commanders get hot, but like the Vikings, there's things you can do, to make things better.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
If I was to get a different ride I would seriously consider the Teryx 800, good storage,powersteering and fox shocks standard and 3 year warranty,they are having issues with floorboards and there cvts-they had a recall on both so issues should be worked out on new ones

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Yeah, those Kawi 800's are nice too. You just gotta love the power and sound of a V-twin too, never gets old.

·
Registered
147 Posts
After riding with a can am 1000 this weekend I wouldnt want one. After a 1000 miles the thing looks cheap. Also my viking could do anything his could do but go 70 top end which we very rarely use. His cab is extremely noisy and hot. Also whenever he turned there was a loud chatter noise from the rear end. I had all kinds of guys checking out the Viking at stops. I hauled a big box with everyone's extra stuff as well as a fully stacked cooler and the Viking never skipped a beat. I guess if you are looking for a more aggressive trail performing utv there might be better choices but to me I wasn't impressed with the Can am besides the motor.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
We love our Viking, I know the Viking will long atlast the Can-am, i think the Viking looks better than the Can-am, the Can-am looks like a big golf cart to me.. Love to have the motor though, lol

Far as the ride goes, i think the Viking rides pretty good IMO, there's a few bumps that we hit from time to time that jar ya, but overall, its not much different than my 2010 Ranger 500 i had.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Rough ride? I've rode 4 wheelers all my life but my Viking is my first Big toy that I have purchased besides my R6. I think it rides awesome and don't find it jarring at all. I am very happy with my purchase. My father tried to talk me out of it saying things like it can't go where 4 wheelers go, ill never keep up etc. After our first ride and the smile on his face when I asked for the keys back and he said "just a little longer" I knew I made the right decision.

Can AM's look pretty flashy and if you want that big 1000CC engine so you can go fast and brag then go buy one. But if you want to do work and play then look no farther than the Viking. Sure it's not everyone's cup of tea but it was built for a specific market. I think they hit the nail on the head.

Yamaha, forever and always.

·
Registered
86 Posts
There are times (particularly in sand dunes) when I think the extra power of a Teryx or Commander would be nice, but I still think my wife and I made the correct decision. Most trails we take won't allow for speeds beyond the Viking's capability, so the extra power would be wasted. There are stretches of trail where a proper locking front diff is a real advantage over the visco-lock in a Commander. Being able to fit three people plus a full load of gear will be huge this fall come hunting season. Finally, there is Yamaha's reputation for reliability. All that, and it was almost $2k cheaper than a comparably equipped Teryx. Can't beat that!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm looking real hard at the new Teryx 4 and keeping the Viking....but if its just the ride that bothers you think about a shock upgrade or the CATVOS suspension kit. Also removing the rear sway bar helps a bunch...Lower the tire pressure if you can and If you have a 2" lift many of those change the angle of the shock and make the ride much stiffer.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I was going to actually add a lift if yamacat makes em for some ground clearance and its extremely hard to steer (no eps) when I run low tire pressure... ill have to look into the catvos suspension kit... it looks like catvos just offers arched arm lifts and no shocks.... anyway shocks will probably be crazy cash, especially cuz the Viking is so new.. ill probably end up keeping it because us having 3 in the family and a 2 seater setup will make it tough for my son to come along.. just hate how this thing rides like a skid steer thru the woods

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
What?? Maybe if you didn't cheap out and got the eps... thing doesn't ride like a skidsteer at all hahaha
..you make a good point,, I drove my bros rzr with eps and wow is it nice... I dunno maybe I'll have to look into getting it so it aint such a bear on the trails... thinkin about it, the whole dang reason I probably started this thread is because I drove my brothers rzr... it just rides soooo nice,, but I hate Polaris, lol

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Eps makes a huge difference in fact its a must imo.
x2. we have some pretty rough and rocky terrain were i ride and i drive everywhere one handed. imo eps is the only way to go

1 - 20 of 34 Posts