Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, new member here.

I've got 3 rangers in our fleet here on our ranch, and soon our extended warranty will be up and we need to be looking at new rides.

in 2 out of the 3 rangers we've put new transmissions and front diffs in already this year. with about $12,000 in repairs in all 3 since january. thank God for warranty.

So, I've been looking at the Viking and I'm wondering if it's really as good as they say.

How do you all feel the power of the 700 is in comparison to the 800rangers?

Anyone running the Defender hard cab system? if so, how does it effect power and top speed?

I drove a honda pioneer for a few days and wasn't terribly impressed with their 700, is this one better?

How about the suspension? is the travel acceptable? can you adjust the suspension for heavier loads? any spring adjustment?. Are the A arms greaseable?

My biggest concern is reliability. we put on about 750 hours/5,000 miles per year on our machines. they're used daily, sometimes all day long. I need something that works as hard as I do, and I'm just wondering if anyone's put enough miles/hours on these to see if they're proven. It's either a viking or ranger 900. I'd prefer to get away from polaris because I'm a bit upset of the quality of their product as of late.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Did i talk to you over on the PRC site?

Welcome,

Ive had nothing but Yamaha's over the years, none of them have let me down. I tried Polaris one and it'll be the last, when i sold my 2002 Yamaha Big Bear 400 for a new 2010 Ranger 500, it was new, on the showroom floor, it was a POS, Lemon, whatever you want to call it, it had 1 issue off the showroom floor, when took it for a test drive, Salesman, said " ah, its just been sitting awhile", ell, after close to 10 trips between 2 dealers, which of neither could find or FIX the issue, i sold it last year, soon as I heard of the Viking, i would have went Yamaha to begin with, but the Rhino was to small.

Ive never drove an 800 Ranger, so cant compare, but the Yamaha 700 does everything i need it to, and never has left me wanting more.

Never drove a 700 Honda, so cant compare really.

Cant adjust the shocks, or springs.

If your looking for reliability, Look no further than Yamaha, like i said, Ive had many, and they've never let me down once. Ask anybody esle with a Yamaha product, they'll say the same.

Good luck with you looking. I have no doubt you love the Viking.

·
Super Moderator
4,425 Posts
Hi Dieselfume, I'm currently using the Viking on my farm in Australia and am more than happy with it, even though I've only done 20 hours so far. I've owned eight Yamaha's in the last fourteen years and have NEVER had a breakdown or a warranty issue. I'm absolutely positive I'll find the same reliability with the Viking.

To add to what 2K14 said above I find the suspension travel adequate, the power perfectly acceptable, the A arms are greasable at the wheel end, the whole thing is well built and a pleasure to use.

Downsides, a little noisy, but they probably all are, no rear diff so it really digs up your farm tracks, and a little thirsty at 20L per 100km (I'll convert that to mpg later as we're on our way out to dinner now lol).

·
Registered
36 Posts
I made the switch I went through my Polaris warranty within a year junk. It was in the shop more than I had. the warranty is only good up to the price of a new ranger. I've had my Yamaha for a year now. I use mine every day (oil field) and a little hard on them but With almost 3000 miles and never been back to the shop. The only 3 things I found I don't like is they are loud and the ground Clarence, and they don't haul as much. And accessories for them or not as good as Polaris. great side.by side so far.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Grond Clearance is more then the Polaris Ranger. The Ranger sags atleast 1.5". The Ranger may hold more, but you cant drive it with what they say the Payload can handle. 600lb payload is a lot and that is what the Viking can do.

2kmelat is yours a Rhino or a Viking?

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Yeah, When i had my Ranger, i ended up getting a new 2011 Can-am Outlander 800 XTP to ride, since my darn Polaris was in the shop all the time.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Welcome......I strictly bought the Viking for 2 reasons.

Proven Durability and Longevity.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Honestly you can't go wrong with either Honda or Yamaha, the Pioneer is just a solid choice as the Viking. Welcome aboard, happy hunting ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently traded a Polaris Ranger for the Viking. The Yamaha's build quality is far ahead of any Polaris product. I recently tested the Viking in Bluff Mountains, TN. I was so impressed with how the Viking performed I traded my Ranger the day after I returned home. I also traded my Polaris 500 Sportsman for a Grizzly 450. No more Polaris, ever!

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Welcome, and way to go, Just say NO to Polaris!!!

Have fun & Enjoy your new Viking!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Grond Clearance is more then the Polaris Ranger. The Ranger sags atleast 1.5". The Ranger may hold more, but you cant drive it with what they say the Payload can handle. 600lb payload is a lot and that is what the Viking can do.

2kmelat is yours a Rhino or a Viking?
I have the Viking when i had my Polaris I haul a 100 gal tank with chemicals 8 pound to the gal it did good tried it once with the Viking. No big deal just got a trailor as for the ground clearance I bottom out where I never did before. The dealer even gave me new shocks still only sits at about 10" and that's with 27" tire and rim but if that is all that is wrong with it I'll take it

·
Registered
3 Posts
I love my grizzly 700 (same engine & power steering as Viking) and have used the heck out of it for over 5 years with zero complaints on my cattle ranch. I have had 1 polaris over the years and ended up trading it for a few hours work after nothing but reliability problems and a grenaded transmission. Seems to be a lot of ranchers/farmers on this site. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the replies!

After owing polaris for years I can tell you reliability is the #1 issue polaris has at the moment.

I could handle a few less frills if the machine will last. I did drive the honda pioneer, and felt it was a complete joke.. I'm hoping I don't feel the same let down on the viking. I have the feeling that I'm going to be happy with it if and when I get to drive one.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
You'll love the Viking, I think, soon as you look at and drive, you'll be able to notice the Fit & Finish, build quality right off.

The Ranger I had, had the issue i talked about, and on top of that, it was the most POS junk thing id ever heard, i mean, it had some many buzzes, vibrations, the bed was so unbearable at times, we had to do alot of work on it, to quiet it down. Dang, im glad that thing is gone.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

After owing polaris for years I can tell you reliability is the #1 issue polaris has at the moment.

I could handle a few less frills if the machine will last. I did drive the honda pioneer, and felt it was a complete joke.. I'm hoping I don't feel the same let down on the viking. I have the feeling that I'm going to be happy with it if and when I get to drive one.
Also, the pioneer doesnt have a low range. Not good for hauling things around. You will be happy with the viking.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

I drove the honda I liked it but the dealer witch is a good friend said they are nice but is would not hold up for me. They are for the weekend warrior.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Here's my thoughts:

Polaris: owns the "Sports " side of the UTV world. Durability is sub-par. Most folk's that own these are thrilled with the V-twin power, however it's soon realized that durability is way more preferred and they move away from them.

Honda: Durability is it's main calling card and would give the Viking a run for its money in that department. Again, the transmission is the Achilles heal of this machine and ignoring it will definitely move the work group away. As mentioned, very reliable to "ride" not so much in the work category.

Kawasaki: it's like to Polaris what GMC is to Chevrolet. Basically same construction, plenty of power again from the V-twin and a little bit more durable than a PoPo. Still will not last in the long run. ( Owned one and know it).

Yamaha: Durability, reliability and loyalty. First in developing the UTV and proven success. Considered the " Workhorse" of the group and just enough sport to make it fun to drive. All other UTV maker's duplicated their standard base from the Rhino. Duplication is the highest form of flattery.

John Deere: Probably the 3rd best of them all. ( Yamaha, Kawi & JD) Not very well versed in the UTV segment as Farm Equipment is their nitch and it shows. Engine problems have plagued the manufacturer in the UTV and zero turn market as well. Leaving the Kawasaki motors for the Briggs & Stratton wasn't received very well

Kubota: Great reputation and notoriety for quality and durability. These UTV's are geared more for 100% work and used at construction sites, highway departments and farmers. To get a comparable unit to the afore mentioned is the 3 cylinder diesel. Along with it comes an astronomical amount of overall weight and poor performance in the off-road.

Note: These are my opinions and we all know about them :)

·
Super Moderator
4,425 Posts
What about the Can-Am Quack Addict? Surely it would top the lot?

We have a John Deer Gator, done a lot of work and reliable as anything. I just rebuilt the motor (got dusted) and it basically cost nothing to rebuild. It is underpowered though and slows right down up hills if one of the balloon tires gets a bit low on pressure.

We have a Kubota RTV500, great work vehicle but only 16hp.

And a Viking of course which beats the lot.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts