Viking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious to see if I'm the only yooper (upper peninsula, Michigan) on this forum..

·
Registered
14 Posts
prolly not the only uuu'per. I live in MI for 4 years and loved it. We would go to the U.P. for vacation and hunting (in Hiawatha N.F.). Absolutely loved it....will go back to visit once I retire. (a week's vacation isn't enough). Only downside is the mayflies when camping in May, etc.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah its a great place to live,if you love the outdoors and can handle the harsh winters

·
Registered
8 Posts
Howland,

I'm from Northern Indiana, use to live in Manistee, and travel to the UP a couple times a year. When up there a month ago we picked up a trail map book for the western end, Houghton area, have you ridden any of that area. Thinking about a trip in the spring to do some trail riding.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry cant help im from the eastern end near sault st marie, I bet it would get a nice trip out west though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Im from the lower but coming up over labor day weekend to bait for bear. Coming back Sept 13th for a week to hunt. I will be West of Marquette. I will be having the viking in tow.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Marquette is really pretty country, how many bear have you gotten?

·
Registered
17 Posts
This willl be my 4th time. I've shot one in the past but have saw atleast one bear each time i've drawn. I love the country up there and look forward to it each time. Do you hunt them as well? I've been up near your area running snowshoe hare wwith my beagles before. I was between the Soo and Brimley.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope never been bear hunting before, my dad got a few when I was a kid and there's a lot in the area that go. Seems like it would be fun to try sometime though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sorry cant help im from the eastern end near sault st marie, I bet it would get a nice trip out west though.
I live in Sault Ontario, but do alot of sledding in the UP in Sault Ste Marie and the mid west UP. I know it pretty well. Great trails.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
17 Posts
How is the riding on the East end? Thinking about coming up Labor Day weekend and just throw a tent out somewhere at night. I'd like to do some fishing as well so maybe look for a spot along a river or lake. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
East end is great, its pretty dusty right now from lack of rain. Drummond island is probably the best place to ride on eastern end, lots of trails, very rider friendly place.i spent a couple days with the family there in tents earlier this summer. Had a great time will be going back again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That might not be a bad idea. Im guessing there is enough public land to set up a small camp for the weekend? Any particular places to hit while there?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
there are a few spots people camp at along the water and also theres a pretty nice campground, also a visitor center at the 4 corners and they were very helpful there explaining the sights and giving us trail maps,they have camping permits there you need in order to camp on state land but their free.legal to ride on all the roads except the main highway. Drummond Island ATV ORV

·
Registered
49 Posts
We are heading up to Florence wi camping today. We are taking the Viking and will be hitting the trails around Iron Mt Mi area. Never been there on the Utv so we shall see how the trails are. Hopefully pics to follow on mon.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We are heading up to Florence wi camping today. We are taking the Viking and will be hitting the trails around Iron Mt Mi area. Never been there on the Utv so we shall see how the trails are. Hopefully pics to follow on mon.

Awesome, I've never rode out that way either let us know how it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was just curious to see if I'm the only yooper (upper peninsula, Michigan) on this forum..[/QUOT

What County are you from? I'm in Gogebic County.

Your avatar looks like Keystone Bay in Copper Harbor area.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Reactions: Michiganviking

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 35 Posts