Viking Forum banner
721 - 740 of 751 Posts
it doesn't look good here with no regulations on first nation hunting ,with them using all the modern equiptment of the day and pit lamping all night,killing off the cows and calves the laws are made by polticians with no knowledge what is happening in our area with no regard for the animals.the game department just looks the other way as the courts always seem to rule in their favour if procecuted

Same thing happens here, they want all the fishing areas and no bag limits like they used to have but want to do it with white mans boat, motor, petrol, fishing line, beer, and rolling tobacco! Oh yeah and a dole check to go with it!

Nice buck. Got a small doe yesterday.

Reactions: Chick
Thanks guys, I brought out a couple of hogs, but didn't take any pictures. Muzzle Loader season starts Monday. I can harvest a doe, is all I have left. We can hunt hogs year around. I ordered a hoist, that is suppose to be here Tuesday. Getting that buck in the back of the Viking, with nothing but a short choker strap, was not real easy. He weighed 166. From the pictures I had of him at the first of the season, he had lost 25 lbs. Not unusual. Prior to the rut, they eat a lot, spar and fight bushes, but once the rut starts, they might go 2 weeks without eating much, losing weight every day. I got the 2 small hogs in, without too much trouble, but they were only 130 lbs. There is a nice size barrow running around out there, that might go 100 lbs more that. I need that hoist.

. I need that hoist.

There were some earlier posts of people using their front mounted winch to drag deer into the bed by running the winch cable up over the roof. Might be worth a look. Make sure you put a picture up of your hoist, be interesting to see how it works..

Reactions: bd_skrillz
Yeah, one of the backwoods boys here, told me about that. I can just imagine how that would improve the looks of the bumper, hood and top. haha. No thanks. My hoist will be here Tuesday. A friend of mine, is building a winch operated rack, that mounts on the back of the UTV, that works great. I will try to get a picture. I have a regular ATV receiver hitch rack, that would work better than struggling to get it in the bed.

Yeah, one of the backwoods boys here, told me about that. I can just imagine how that would improve the looks of the bumper, hood and top. haha. No thanks.

Actually you incorporate it with the appropriate rollers etc so no damage to bumpers hoods and tops. It works pretty well. You tilt the bed and pull it straight on up in.

Having a strong, tall kid is better than a hoist.

You're making me jealous, I saw some Chital in my back paddock the other day so time to go and shoot one! Give my 15 yo something to lift lol.

Yeah, another set of hands is great, buttt..., we have hogs over 350lbs, here.

A couple of you should be able to get those small 350lbs hogs in the bed easy enough, maybe take someone with you next time to ease the load. We get some monster hogs here but never seem to bother with devices to load them, we just manhandle them and if that gets too hard we give the hunting dogs a kick in the guts to help with the last bit of the lift lol

A couple of you should be able to get those small 350lbs hogs in the bed easy enough, maybe take someone with you next time to ease the load. We get some monster hogs here but never seem to bother with devices to load them, we just manhandle them and if that gets too hard we give the hunting dogs a kick in the guts to help with the last bit of the lift lol
Getting into the bed, is not the trouble. Lifting it 3 1/2 feet in the air, to get it into the ned, is the issue. We use to have bigger hogs running around, but most have been killed. I have seen the monster hogs of New Zealand, but not Australia.

I mostly hunt by myself, and I do not allow hog dogs on my club.

A friend and I loaded an elk into the back of my Vike one time. Had cinch straps but no ratchets. Wrapped the straps from the front legs to the sides of the roll cage and tilted the bed down. I’d stand on top of a back tire and dead lift the elk a couple inches at a time while buddy cinched up strap. Do a few times on each side until it was far enough up that we could get he hind legs started and pulled up enough that we could tilt the bed back flat. Took a while but got it done. Learned to bring either a come along or a buddy that doesn’t have back issues. At 8000 ft elevation you get gassed pretty quick and then you’re slowed while trying to lift up the tire would squish down some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A friend and I loaded an elk into the back of my Vike one time. Had cinch straps but no ratchets. Wrapped the straps from the front legs to the sides of the roll cage and tilted the bed down. I’d stand on top of a back tire and dead lift the elk a couple inches at a time while buddy cinched up strap. Do a few times on each side until it was far enough up that we could get he hind legs started and pulled up enough that we could tilt the bed back flat. Took a while but got it done. Learned to bring either a come along or a buddy that doesn’t have back issues. At 8000 ft elevation you get gassed pretty quick and then you’re slowed while trying to lift up the tire would squish down some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why didn’t you quarter the elk. I have loaded many on a standard atv and I am looking forward to the Vikings bed capacity to make it even easier.

Lets get this thread going again, I got a good one this year

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I thought u guys were only allowed 1 deer a year in the us?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk
We are only allowed 1 buck in Ohio but we can shoot 6 Deer total

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

721 - 740 of 751 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.