Viking Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use my Viking for yard work more then off road use. The stock tires have been tearing up my yard! While I want to keep them I would like to put a set of "turf friendly" tires on it. Does any one have any suggestions? I know most people put more aggressive tires on them, but I need something that doesn't tear up all my lawn when I'm using it for yard work. I have 10 acres with 4 as my lawn, and 6 is trail riding

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
You can actually buy turf tires in lots of sizes. But I think the rear end will tear it up when turning. Carlisle make a few. Probably lots do.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
There's 1 thing i liked about my 2010 Ranger, and that was TURF MODE, it was so nice, dont understand what that isn't standard across all makes.

·
Registered
210 Posts
So do turf tires just have less intense treads? I imagine that you give up some grip by going with turf tires.

Other driving modes would be nice.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So do turf tires just have less intense treads? I imagine that you give up some grip by going with turf tires.

I have a Kubota Tractor that I opted for turf tires instead of the "tractor"(industrial tires), so it didn't tear up my yard. I would loose some traction but for a majority of time it rides on regular grass

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts

Basically same tires that come on Golf carts.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You will still tear up your lawn with turf tires. The rear end in the Viking is locked meaning that when you turn a corner both tires still turn at the same speed. The tire that is in the inside corner of the turn is basically doing a burnout in your grass.
Today I worked in my yard for a good part of the day moving mulch with the Viking and the key is if you need to turn in the grass make the most gradual turn that your space allows.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You will still tear up your lawn with turf tires. The rear end in the Viking is locked meaning that when you turn a corner both tires still turn at the same speed. The tire that is in the inside corner of the turn is basically doing a burnout in your grass.
Today I worked in my yard for a good part of the day moving mulch with the Viking and the key is if you need to turn in the grass make the most gradual turn that your space allows.
. I agree! Turn in big a big radius. These locked rears destroy lawns:(

·
Registered
312 Posts
X2.......The wider the turn the better.

·
Super Moderator
4,425 Posts
Well there you go, the rear diff on the Viking is not actually a diff, it's just a right angle drive, that's why there's no diff lock on it, it's permanently locked as is. I wonder why they did that? A diff with a diff lock would have been a better thing IMO. Maybe Yamaha were trying to saving money.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well there you go, the rear diff on the Viking is not actually a diff, it's just a right angle drive, that's why there's no diff lock on it, it's permanently locked as is. I wonder why they did that? A diff with a diff lock would have been a better thing IMO. Maybe Yamaha were trying to saving money.
The vast majority of ATVs/UTVs have locked rear ends. Its just how it is. Polaris offers turf mode on some of their stuff that solves this problem.

·
Super Moderator
4,425 Posts
The vast majority of ATVs/UTVs have locked rear ends. Its just how it is. Polaris offers turf mode on some of their stuff that solves this problem.
Ah ok, I didn't realize that, so the turf mode unlocks the diff then, cool thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts