Viking Forum banner

Another take on the fold down spare tire.

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Crummy 
#1 ·
I repurposed a old Bell bike carrier into a spare tire carrier and it worked out well. Don't own a bicycle and the kids all grew up and moved away but I can even slip the bike fork back on if I ever had the need to haul a bike. Welded a tow attachment on the base so it's multipurpose. Still need to clean it up and get it powder coated but it's coming along. Might also make a system to pin it to the grab bar so I can skip the anti-rattle device on the receiver that requires a wrench for removal. Work in progress.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well done. I like the shackle attachment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

#4 ·
ur running the same tires as me... how does it ride?.. I had to send my rears back because they were out of round... still waiting to get the replacements... I wont be buyn them again... destroy my yard and seem to be wearing quickly

#6 ·
They are definitely not turf tires more like rototillers when it comes to the yard but I have a lawn tractor for the yard. It seems to ride fine and the traction in the mud and rocks is great. Have 160 miles running rock, dirt and gravel and they only have slight wear so I imagine wear will be ok.

#5 ·
Very nice

#9 ·
Got it all done. Ended up adding a mini receiver to the rear grab bar so I could eliminate the anti rattle u-bolt that required a wrench to remove. Also added a ball mount. It's now all painted up and ready to hit the trail.

Pictures show the mini receiver along with various stages of assembly and the last one shows that work is over and it's play time.

#11 ·
How much time and money did you put in to this?
Don't really know. Probably four or five hours but the $$ is hard to tell as I used the steel from a old bike carrier and from my scrap pile.

I do know the wheel/tire was $225, the lug studs $8, the lug nuts came in a 20 pack spline drive set I bought to mount the wheels on the machine and the rest was stuff I had.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.