Viking Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long weedend, but productive. I already ordered the flowmaster 7100 for arctic cat off ebay and bought several stock 45's and 90's in 1-1/2, but was not liking the long sweeps on those fittings. Realized the "U" pipe I was cutting off the hushpower would fit my needs.

First, fabbed a new plate to replace the muffler spark arrester/exhaust pipe.

Next, cut the center of the "U" then cut a 45 on the female side:

This set up this combo pre-weld

This is the result all welded up:

The tight radius on the cut tube helps raise the muffler position, but is just low enough for clearance with the bed in "dump" position.

I still have to tweak the hanger ( and maybe add one to the other side) to get the unit positioned correctly, but that will have to wait until next week.

The result-- it is quieter at idle and low speed cruising. Istill need to fab a spark arrester, but i can easily reinstall the factory unit and run without the hushpower, but i'll fab or buy an arrester.

After new wheels, the eps install, and this muffler install all in one weekend--I am pooped! But what fun!

Tony

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well done! Great little write up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Nice job!!

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
You bring up a very good point I failed to mention when I did mine. That is the fact that the original "U" shaped inlet piece, that you cut off, can be fabricated into what you need to attach the two mufflers....as long as you mount it high like you and I did.

Nice job!

PS: Now try the towel trick behind and around the seats...you'll really get a feel of how quiet it can be.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank-you.

Planning to do before and after db reading since it only takes 4 little bolts to switch out the tail piece. But it will be a week.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You bring up a very good point I failed to mention when I did mine. That is the fact that the original "U" shaped inlet piece, that you cut off, can be fabricated into what you need to attach the two mufflers....as long as you mount it high like you and I did.

Nice job!

PS: Now try the towel trick behind and around the seats...you'll really get a feel of how quiet it can be.
On my list. Just a step or two behind you trailblazers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Tony, how come you built a new round pice to bolt on the existing muffler? And as you state , have to now come up with a spark arrest or. Would it not have been easier to weld the tubing off the hushpower over the outlet on the existing muffler? I have a hushpower on route so I am not being critical but looking for reasons as I don't want to miss something. Thank you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I didn't want to trash the factory tailpiece or have to replace (i heard $45-50) it if I was't satisfied with the hushpower. The plate was easy enough to fabricate, and I can switch back to stock if necassary. Spark arrester will be easy to fab-- and i seriously doubt i need to worrw about it in any case. It's a long circuitous route frm the combustion chamber to the exhaust. More concerned with exhaust tube heat than exhaust spark. Anyone with differing concerns, let me know.

Plus, for me, easier to weld from the back side of the plate than the outside around the outside of the tube. Less chance of blowing thru the tube wall--my limited experience showing.

Besides, I desperately needed to cut some metal. I have strange addictions.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Stankler,
They should, but I would take the Viking to them,too so they can get the hangers and all the fitting geometry--you have to make sure the position doesn't interfere with the bed in dump position.

Ultratec--thanks.

Tony

·
Registered
60 Posts
Tony,

Great install!

How did you get the original U-shape inlet pipe off? Looks like it came off/out clean. And then you used a hole saw to creat the new inlet hole on the side?

Thanks, just trying to figure out all the tools and steps I need to do.

Cheers.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Used a small air powered body saw, but a hack saw or cutting disk on die grinder would work. Had to clean up remainder of tube and factory weld with 4" grinder and abrasive wheel to get the surface smooth for the patch panel.

Yes, on the hole-saw, but the hole i cut in the muffler was done with 1-3/8 instead of 1-1/2 like i did on the muffler exhaust plate. Since i used a hand drill instead of setting up in the drill press, the hole saw tended to wander a bit, making the hole larger than the hole saw size. Had to bridge the gap on the plate using the 1-1/2. If i had done a little filing or grinding on the 1-3/8 muffler hole, i could have had a snug fit insertion. As it was, the pipe sat positioned perfectly in the hole, so no gap to fill. Just did tacks all the way around to prevent blowing thru the tube using a wire feed welder.

That was a long answer.

Reactions: Fhb

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks forthe descriptive responses Tony. They will help when it comes time for me to do mine.
You're welcome. Let us know how yours comes out, and what you have done differently.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Post some videos of it installed wod ya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Post some videos of it installed wod ya

Are your talking to me? (in my best de Niro impersonation)

I will try to do that next weekend, but will have to figure out the video posting thing. I think I remember having a photobucket account. hmmm . . .

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Yes, and anybody else that installs the hushpower really

1 - 19 of 19 Posts