Viking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So before I buy anything I wanted a sanity check from people that have actually used this machine. I am looking at a 2022 Yamaha Viking VI EPS Ranch Edition to be used as a glorified bus to move people up and down to the lake. The picture shows I have a path that was made this fall that is not yet complete. The only thing is, this path is a 25 degree angle at its steepest. I am looking to use this machine to move 4ish full size adults down and back up. Lets say 1100 pounds total payload. I want to do this safely. Am I nuts to do this with the Viking or any UTV? Do I need more HP than what the viking can offer? Any opinions, experience, or insights are appreciated.

· Registered
4,156 Posts
So before I buy anything I wanted a sanity check from people that have actually used this machine. I am looking at a 2022 Yamaha Viking VI EPS Ranch Edition to be used as a glorified bus to move people up and down to the lake. The picture shows I have a path that was made this fall that is not yet complete. The only thing is, this path is a 25 degree angle at its steepest. I am looking to use this machine to move 4ish full size adults down and back up. Lets say 1100 pounds total payload. I want to do this safely. Am I nuts to do this with the Viking or any UTV? Do I need more HP than what the viking can offer? Any opinions, experience, or insights are appreciated.

No you're not nuts. The Viking is more than capable of hauling 4 adults up that hill.

That said, there are certain grades that I won't climb for fear of fishtailing sideways and possibly flipping over. That's a potential issue with any off-road vehicle. So whether or not you want to chance it and give your passengers a white knuckled experience is a matter if personal choice.

The simple answer is yes the Viking will handle it as long as you keep it straight and you have a good traction under your tires (no ice, snow, wet leaves, debris in the way).

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response. So I guess I should ask the follow up question, do you think this be a white knuckle ride every time. I can't imagine the wife would appreciate it. I want it to be a better experience than climbing 90 stairs everytime. I plan to made a driving path of "turfstone" (concrete blocks with diamond shaped holes) to ensure traction. The plan is to go up and down directly, with a gentle turn on the less steep part at the bottom of the cleared path in the picture. Then the path will go straight up/down the small steep path that is about a 20% angle but only about 15 feet long.

· Registered
4,156 Posts
I would borrow someone's side-by-side and give it a go to see how comfortable you are with it. I climb up and down some pretty steep hills and I also skip some pretty steep hills. What you're describing seems doable but you might want to try it out and maybe practice. Seems doable from the description.

· Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,629 Posts
Are you an idiot the only way to climb that hill is in an Argo then if you end up in the lake you float to the nearest boat landing
🤣🤣🤣 Usmartass

· Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,629 Posts
The Viking will do what your asking with ease. Especially in 4x4. I pull a trailer full of firewood and bed full of firewood also all the time with ease which is a lot more weight than your talking about.

Reactions: bd_skrillz

· Super Moderator
5,195 Posts
Not very friendly for your first post on the forum!
Lets be respectful!
He must be either a sh!t stirrer or a good friend!

Reactions: Ultratec

· Super Moderator
5,195 Posts
As said the Viking will do that easily, it won't be a white knuckle ride unless you want it to be 🤣 If it's a business run then the only issue doing it in a SxS will be rain but if it's a family trip then that won't be an issue.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To clear up any confusion, Udumbass is my older brother doing what older brothers do, being a troll. Last time I send him a link to anything. We live in the same town. Oddly enough he is the one pushing hard for the Yamaha Viking. I got a quote for $65,000 for a hill side lift and that caused me to explore other options. Up where my lake house is at in Wisconsin all the roads around the lake at open to ATV/UTVs so I could use the UTV more than just to go up and down the hill.

The argo was an interesting thought. Just seems overkill for what I really need and it is also expensive.

Thanks for all the feedback. I do appreciate it.

· Super Moderator
5,195 Posts

· Registered
606 Posts
the only issue with the argo is it's limited speed for long distances on hard roads,other than that it is snowmobile ,boat and atv all in and with its skid steer type steering is awsome for going through tight trails and turns around in its own width.i am not sure how the new ones are,but mine did require a lot of maintenance with chains and bearings etc.the way the beavers are flooding our trails i am considering going back to one.

· Registered
10 Posts
I’m new to this (got my Viking a few weeks ago and still breaking in the engine) but I’ve got lots of steep hills and haven’t had any issues tackling them. And I’m just driving through the woods not on a prepared path. I’ve posted a few videos if you want to compare (YT link below) but from your photo it looks totally doable. And I had the same hesitation as you prior to purchasing as some of my hills you can’t even walk up/down comfortably.

One other note if you do get the Viking — the engine braking is awesome. I have been really impressed going downhill that I rarely need to even touch the brakes.

· Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
1,629 Posts
I pulled the trigger on a new 2022 Viking vi ranch edition yesterday. So come this spring I will hope it works out. Thanks for everyone's help (except for that troll who happens to be my older brother).
Make your brother walk, don’t give him a ride 🤣

1 - 20 of 23 Posts