Viking Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 yamaha viking
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the ais delete worth doing? Does it cause issues or does it help keep the exhaust a little cooler? Any pros or cons to doing it?

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
327 Posts
I did it on my Kodiak because it was all the rage on the Kodiak and Grizzly forum's but there were a good number of guy’s that didn’t see much benefit to it, me included. On both the Kodiak and my Viking the spark plug color is perfect without doing it so I am not going to bother with doing it on the Viking and the Kodiak is back to stock without it. The main reason that Kodiak & Grizzly owners are doing it is because they are looking for ways to have their machines run cooler & richer because they are sitting right above the motor and exhaust. Some of the quads seem to have more of a issue with it like the 708cc motors (which is what my 2017 Kodiak is) but for the best results a fuel tuner is the way to go. I have never experienced any engine heat in the cab of my Viking. I have noticed the bed being warm during the summer but thats no big deal and obviously because the exhaust is right under the bed.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
327 Posts
Does the exhaust still get glowing hot with it?
I have never had a glowing hot exhaust on either vehicle with or without the AIS delete. If you have that there maybe something else going on. In your case you may definitely want to try it. What color is your spark plug? Guessing white. A dealer could hook it up to their diagnostic mach and adjust the fuel mixture richer, kinda like a fuel tuner.

·
Registered
380 Posts
both my wolverine and viking header pipes get red hot,the wolverine header would break from getting so hot,the nature of the beast

·
Registered
93 Posts
Would it be worth the trouble to open up the muffler tip and check the spark arrester? Maybe too much backpressure causing heat up?

·
Super Moderator
4,349 Posts
Yeah it's normal for the header to glow red, i'd definitely pull the spark arrestor out as above though.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
327 Posts
Interesting, wonder why mine doesn’t get that hot? (Not complaining)

·
Registered
2014 yamaha viking
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's mainly when it's idling. Let it idle for a few minutes and look at it. From what I read it's because of the ais. That's why I was hoping deleting it would help a little. I may try it and see if I notice a difference.

·
Registered
2014 yamaha viking
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's mainly when it's idling. Let it idle for a few minutes and look at it. From what I read it's because of the ais. That's why I was hoping deleting it would help a little. I may try it and see if I notice a difference.

·
Super Moderator
4,349 Posts
Yeah idling at night you'll see it. My WR450 is the same with no AIS, it glows at night too.

Reactions: Ironhide.au

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sport your viking is a lot newer also. Less idle time, less soot build up.

Reactions: Sport4x4
1 - 13 of 13 Posts