Viking Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone hear of this being an issue on the Viking? It is a problem on the Wolverine and the Viking has it also. Mine was very hard to get at through the small hole in the skid plate, so I was unable to put a worm type hose clamp on it so I added a zip tie behind the cheap metal pinch clamp.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone see a problem with just plugging the hole from the top inside the air-box so you don’t have to worry about it? Isn’t this just to drain water out if some gets in? A plug from inside would be easier to get at also if you need to drain it.

Reactions: Pagerboy

·
Super Moderator
4,404 Posts
If you never go in water I'd just silicone a bit of plastic over it from the inside, you can always pull it off later. They never really work properly anyway, and I'm sure a lot of dust and dirt gets up inside the airbox through the drain once the plastic gets old. It's pretty dusty under there.

Reactions: Sport4x4

·
Super Moderator
4,404 Posts
And then just wipe your airbox clean when you do your filter.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a river running through my property so I’m crossing it all the time, this is why I’m somewhat concerned

·
Super Moderator
4,404 Posts
I have a river running through my property so I’m crossing it all the time, this is why I’m somewhat concerned
Yeah ok fair call, what about snorkeling the intake then, that's probably a safer bet..just make sure that no water can ever get in.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a depth gauge in the water, if the water level is too high I don’t cross it because the current is too strong and would sweep me off downstream so I don’t need to be concerned with a snorkel I will not get in when it’s that deep but this drain plug is definitely low enough on the Viking to be in the water everytime.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Added this for a little more insurance
8B5471A4-B761-4EEC-B3A4-CB6F042FC220.jpeg

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That photo is the bottom of the airbox with the air filter removed. I filled the the drain hole with silicone sealant to prevent water from coming in from the bottom.

·
Super Moderator
4,404 Posts
I filled the the drain hole with silicone sealant to prevent water from coming in from the bottom.
Just remember if you do ever get water in there you're going to have a bitch of a time getting it out. I guess you can always dig the silicon out then re do it when you get home.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just remember if you do ever get water in there you're going to have a bitch of a time getting it out. I guess you can always dig the silicon out then re do it when you get home.
Yes, very much aware of that. Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha Viking EPS
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But isnt the only way for water to get in now through the air intake under the hood, just below the top of the dash? If I get that deep in water I will have a lot more to worry about LOL 🥴

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
Mine was so full of water it choked the engine out when I stepped on the gas. I lived on the top of a mountain and never even drove through puddles. Not sure how it all got in but it did.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts